Can't see through eggs when candled....what do u all do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bellah1, Mar 1, 2013.

1. bellah1

bellah1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2012
    Western Washington
    I'm on day 7 with duck eggs & 2 of them I can't see through their shells at all when I candle. I got 9 Aussie spotted shipped & the post office annihilated them so only 2 of the 7 I can see are developing and only 1 of those is for sure continuing to develop. So I don't have high hopes for the 2 I can't see inside of the shells. My question is what do u all do about those eggs? I didn't know about the whole weighing thing til today so could I start now or do u just do the smell test? I don't want them to contaminate the rest of the hatch because I have 8 of my runners eggs in there too.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I think you should candle again in 2-3 days time and toss the eggs that are not developing or looking good. Eggs do sometimes take awhile to show development, so hopefully there will be more viable ones.

3. bellah1

bellah1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2012
    Western Washington
    I can't see through the shell of those two at all! I even tried two flash lights.

4. bilder

bilder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Phoenix, Oregon
    I have four eggs in my incubator that I could not see through. I just left them in. One is hatching right now and another has pipped.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by