cant someone help please...shes dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunshadow, May 13, 2011.

1. sunshadow

sunshadow New Egg

May 13, 2011
    i have a 4 week old chick and she wont eat or drink, she appears to be gasping for air, she opens and closes her beak every few seconds...she acts like she is sleeping, every now and then she opens her eyes, but not for long, i am really concerned...thank you in advance

2. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Can you tell us a little more what is was she eating and her living space is she under heat lamp with other chicks I always seperate my sick one and try to slowly give her a little sugar water and make hard boiled egg feed that to her

3. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Sorry if I missed your other post- is she in a brooder with other chicks? What is the temperature? How long has it been since she's eaten or drank? Will she drink if you dip her beak gently in water? Have you checked her vent to see if she's pasted up?

4. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Check the temp of the brooder, make sure she is not too hot. Check for bloody or pink poo. If so then cocci. Any rasping or bubbles around the eyes? That would be a respiratory thing.
    Need a bit more info to really help.

5. sunshadow

sunshadow New Egg

May 13, 2011
    ok she was in a coop with her coop mates, and I have removed her she is in the house with me..she had been
    eating up until yesterday...i have had someone look to see if she has a gapeworm, but unsure since we dont know what we are looking for...i have her wrapped in a warm blanket now and i have dipped her beak in water to get her to drink..i have tried to feed her egg yolks, and i have made a concoction of yogurt, with vitamin e, polyvisol, and selenium....she wont take anything..she just appears to sleep

6. sunshadow

sunshadow New Egg

May 13, 2011
    no bloody poo..and no bubbly eyes

7. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Poor thing sounds like your doing everything right. I had my girl do the same thing last week. I put her in box with heat lamp and a towel Dipped her beak in the sugar water every 30 45 min and she was fine the next day Never did figure out what was wrong with her.

8. sunshadow

sunshadow New Egg

May 13, 2011
    no help in time...she died sometime in the night

9. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I'm so sorry she died, I know how helpless a person feels when they don't know what is going on with a little friend. In the future, remember that we are not there with you and end up wasting time asking "where is she? what is the temp?" etc. so if you can answer all of the questions that are in the sticky at the top of this forum, it might get you the answers you need in time. Again, so sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by