Can't stabilize temps...empty bator

perolane

Songster
9 Years
Jun 20, 2010
Louisiana
Thought we finally had it....trying to tweak the bator (no eggs)...temps stable at right around 100 & humidity at 60 for 24 hours. Then everything out of whack just before we get the eggs in.

From my previous post on last hatch....we had stable temps the whole time but humidity was too high. The changes we made were to place the water pan on the bottom & we enlarged the vent holes from 1/4" to 1/2". Now we have temps fluctuating anywhere from 104 to this morning's reading at 88.9. I placed tape over 2 of the bottom holes last night. It seems with the larger holes, outside the bator's temps are influencing the temps inside the bator.

Another quandry....when it's time for lockdown & I unplug those vent holes...the temp will climb. If it hits 104....????

This is so frustrating! Before we enlarged the holes, our temps were right on the money the entire incubation time.....we've reduced humidity but now have these unstable temps. What can we do now???? Husband is ready to quit...I don't give up so easily, but have to admit...it is tempting!

Pat

Are you changing the room temps in your house?
Are you even running AC?
If the temps are changing in the house it will mess with the temp inside the bator

I found that my bator would get cold at night so I would throw a folded light blanket over the windows where heat would escape.

Incubator is in the garage...too big for the house @ 3ftx2ftx20in....no AC. We had no problems holding steady temp before we enlarged the vent holes. We only had too high humidity.

Can you close the vent holes back to their original size and then just remove the water from the water pans? That should reduce your humidity and maybe help with stabilization?

I've never made an incubator, so I am not an expert, just thinking aloud, lol.

With my LG, which fluctuates badly with indoor temps, I put a towel over one of the windows to help insulate, and it works like a charm. Is there some way you could better insulate the windows or some other part of the incubator to help stabilize?

I'm sorry you're having this hassle... it sounds very, very frustrating. I bet you'll get it though!
big_smile.png

Some people use tricks to stabilize temps like adding large, smooth rocks inside, or baby food jars with holes in the lids or bottles of water or things like that. If the temps start dropping, those things will give off heat and if they rise, those things act as a heat sink. If you haven't got eggs in, give that a try and see what your temps do.

Otherwise you can try plugging the holes you've made and drilling new, smaller ones like you had before.

Thanks so much...you are all so very helpful!! Sometimes in frustration you can miss the simpliest detail & it always helps to "see" through someone else's eyes!

At 7:40am readings were temp 89.2 & humidity 75%. I taped off 1 upper hole (along with the 2 bottom I previously did)....removed the water pan & replaced it with a small bowl. I can add the large pan later when I need more humidity. For now, I guess I'll just experiment with which holes to tape up to get the temp stable.

In hindsight....we should have just reduced the water surface to lower the humidity & left it at that. I was just worried about the ventilation.

If we ever get to the point of getting eggs in....at hatching, if I unplug those holes & the temp spikes...will the babies be ok???

Update: Well, have been working on this for the last few days & have nothing. Temps from 88.8 to 101.3 & every variation in between. Husband is PO'd at me as now we've missed the window to put in the 100 quail eggs.

I've taped the vent holes to their original size of 1/4"....added mass with a water bottle...nothing works! Any ideas????

Pat

aprophet.....it's a 150 watt Incukit. Temps were dead on for the entire first hatch....99.5 to 100...never had probs with the temp. Our humidity levels were too high (our fault). When we enlarged the vent holes, that's when this temp fluctuation kicked in. I've taped the holes over to original size & it just won't stabilize.

Original post with dimensions, etc. here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=361966

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom