Can't stand up, droopy right wing, air bubble just above wing joint.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cacklin'hen, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Cacklin'hen

Cacklin'hen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Steamboat Springs, Co.
    several days ago one of my 15 mo. old RIR hens just started making a huge ruckus all of the sudden. As i was near by i ran over to see what was up. she came running out of the coop all wobbly, flopped over kicking and screaming, and then couldn't get up. I looked her over pretty good and couldn't find and wounds or injuries. I isolated her and she just lay there for the first day. inoticed a little blood on the floor but again couldn't find a wound. her eyes were glazed and not responsive, ie. wouldn't follow my finger or a light. I made her a sling to sit in and on day three she started eating/drinking and her eyes brightened. it's been a week now and have seen some improvement but she still cant stand. her right wing is drooping and when i gave her a bath today i noticed a smallish air bubble under the skin between the back bone and the shoulder joint. also there is a slight popping when the wing is rotated. i do have a rooster. her legs seem fine and are strong. if i stand her up she falls over backwards. if nothing else i will just let time tell. any ideas?

2. Cacklin'hen

Aug 15, 2010
    Steamboat Springs, Co.
    I'm thinking injury but why can't she stand up if her wing is hurt?

3. Cacklin'hen

Aug 15, 2010
    Steamboat Springs, Co.
    :(She past on to the grain field in the sky yesterday:( [​IMG]

4. Agnella

Agnella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    Sorry about your girl [​IMG]

5. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I wonder if she had some kind of separation of lung tissues that caused air to enter the body cavity? I don't know....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by