Can't stand up!!

TarHeelBlue

Songster
9 Years
Jan 2, 2011
Yukon, Oklahoma
Started my two sick turkeys on Tylan yesterday. One had swelling on his face. Today he looks much better, swelling is gone. she also looks better. They are confined in my garage. BUT, today he can't stand up. When he tries, he swerves around like he can't balance and falls over - Any ideas? I need HELP. don't know what to do. I 'm not sure he is drinking now, so did my best to shoot the antibiotics into his mouth and get some in his system.
hu.gif

Is it the same symptoms as the other bird you posted about that you said acted drunk? And if so, is that one any better?

Had a turkey that would catch a cold whenever it was cold and wet out. He too would not be able to stand. I gave him Oxytet which I believe is tetracycline, (can google it) It worked great about 24 hours on that stuff and he would be walking again. Poultry get stuffy noses and will breath out of their mouth sometimes. Its so sad, they are like little kids with stuffy noses. He was not smart enough to stay off wet ground and was drawn to it, I started locking him in a coop when it rained or wet snow. I would keep him inside when he was sick, ugh. Sounds like you are doing a good job getting meds into them, I was always shocked how sick my turkey got and how fast he came back.

In the past I have had sick turkeys and treated them with injectable Tylan. 3 ccs. once a day for 5 days. And since they go off feed I would force feed them dog food... And mix up a bowl of warm sugar water and dip their beak in it.They usually would drink on their own but if not I would syringe water down their throat.. I even cooked egg yolks and cut in long strips and forced them down their throats. I knew they were getting better when they started eating on their own.

Sometimes illness and lack of food will make them weak. Keep them warm and quiet and tend to them. Hope they make it.

Back
Top Bottom