Can't stop laughing

BoyTheRooster

Songster
Jan 11, 2018
Christchurch, New Zealand
So at the moment we have 4 hens raising chicks. 1 of these hens is currently living outside the run with her single adopted chick.

This evening I went up to the back lawn, where the hen and her chick live, to water the lemon tree. I expected to see mama in her nest box on the ground, settling in for the night. But she wasn't there, so I assumed she's found a new hiding place under a bush or something. So I called out to her to try find her new hiding stop.

I hear gentle clucking from above me

IMG_8793_1.jpg IMG_8795_1.jpg IMG_8798_1.jpg

and then I lost it :lau

Mama hen had some how got herself and her 4 (ish) week old chick about 2 meters (6.5 feet) up in a dead tree and the chick was just poking it's head out and I could not stop laughing

Had to run back to the house to grab my camera and mum

IMG_8800_1.jpg IMG_8804_1.jpg
Sleepy chickies and my mum (5.1 feet) for scale

I don't think she would have tried this if she'd had more the one chick (only two might have worked). But it was the funniest thing I'd seen all day, so I thought I'd share :)

(see if you can spot the rooster)

So at the moment we have 4 hens raising chicks. 1 of these hens is currently living outside the run with her single adopted chick.

This evening I went up to the back lawn, where the hen and her chick live, to water the lemon tree. I expected to see mama in her nest box on the ground, settling in for the night. But she wasn't there, so I assumed she's found a new hiding place under a bush or something. So I called out to her to try find her new hiding stop.

I hear gentle clucking from above me

View attachment 1244386 View attachment 1244387 View attachment 1244388

and then I lost it :lau

Mama hen had some how got herself and her 4 (ish) week old chick about 2 meters (6.5 feet) up in a dead tree and the chick was just poking it's head out and I could not stop laughing

Had to run back to the house to grab my camera and mum

View attachment 1244390 View attachment 1244391
Sleepy chickies and my mum (5.1 feet) for scale

I don't think she would have tried this if she'd had more the one chick (only two might have worked). But it was the funniest thing I'd seen all day, so I thought I'd share :)

(see if you can spot the rooster)

HOW ON EARTH DID SHE GET HER CHICK UP THERE??!!!
I have an image of her carrying it in her beak as a mamma cat would her kitten :lau:yuckyuck
Yeah, found the rooster. Bet he’s worried :oops:

Are you going to stand there with a net when they’re coming down?

Well I assume she's been doing this for a few days now, since this is the first time since Friday that I've checked her after they've gone to bed, so the chick shouldn't have any problems getting down. Easier than getting up!

Lol this is awesome yep found the very worried rooster no doubt he is like really women how the heck do you expect me to protect you up there when I'm down here??? Your surpose to be tucked down here in the grass and I'm surpose to be up there....

Our rooster is a grumpy old man, I don't think he understands anything our hens do anymore

Omgosh too cute! But I would be a nervous wreck about the chick falling.

Mama has the chick well secure, and it is roosting on the branch so I think it'll be fine. She's an excellent mum

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom