Can't STOP THE BLEEDING!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MakNat, Jul 29, 2011.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    I go out to check the horses and my mare is covered in blood. I clean her up, its a TINY puncture wound high on the inside of her front leg. Spraying blood. I've wrapped in tight, with flour twice. Hand help pressure with bandage. It just keeps bleeding through everything. Its late and neither vet is answering their phone or calling back... Help.

2. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Continue to apply pressure with an asorbant sponge - don't use any sort of bandage that can cut off circulation. Continue pressure until the blood clots. Other than that, I cant offer more advice.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Do you have a baby diaper? If so wrap it around the leg, then hold it in place with vet wrap until you can get a hold of the vet..... keep applied pressure....... is it pulsing with each heart beat or just a continuous flow?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  4. MakNat

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Thas what I did. Used a maxi pad with vet wrap. But it still bleeding. I'm really starting to panic and the vets are not calling me back...

5. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    sounds like it cut a vein. You need to keep applying preasure with one hand and have the phone in another for the vet! Hang in there. I'd keep it pretty tight for a while so it stops the flow.

6. MakNat

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    I rebandaged it. no blood that I can see. She is laying down in her stall resting.

7. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Laying down she could be in shock. You need to get the vet out ASAP. Do her gums look white???

8. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    [​IMG]

Could be a cut artery.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  9. MakNat

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Ok, she is back up eating her hay. She ate a whole scoop of grain. She is 25 and lays down alot. There is no blood outside the new bandage. Neither vet has called back. I turned the lights out, all but the night light. I will just keep checking on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by