CANT SWIM.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bubbastump22, Mar 18, 2013.

1. bubbastump22

bubbastump22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    madison,fl
    I brought home 4 more ducks from my work just to take care of them for the weekend since they go thro water soo quick..anyhow.. 2 of the ducklings cant swim.. well they can but r constantly going under water and only there head sticks out of the water barely...what do i do? should i just buy them and get some helium so i can fill up ballons and tie around there waist so they dont sink? i have never seen this b4 ..i thought all ducks and geese could swim but these 2 little ducks are more rock then air.. what do i do?

2. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Ha! I was starting to wonder if it was just me! Sometimes when I hatch a duck out I have to teach it to swim! I just place my hand under them and float them around on it. Eventually they get the hang of it but sometimes I have to do it several times! Never thought of the Helium Idea! What kind of duck are they?

1 person likes this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Ducklings aren't hatched water proof, they have to get the oil gland working which comes with preening and a little age, so more than likely they are sinking because their feathers aren't water proof, thats one reason we tell people not to put their ducklings in the tub or anywhere else and leave them because they can drown. But letting them be in a little water will get them preening and get the oil gland working. make sure it's warm water too.

3 people like this.
  4. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    Very good advice.^ [​IMG] ^ Maybe just put them in shallow water where their feet can touch so you don't have to worry about them drowning.

5. bubbastump22

Sep 16, 2012
    madison,fl
    well i got 2 yellow ones..not saying there pekin yet..cause i got 3 that turned into fawns.. well one is the yellow one and i got one swedish blue that cant swim..and i dont leave them alone when i let them swim. its fun to sit there with my coffee and watch them. and yea i usually have there water for all my ducks really warm..they dont like it when its luke warm or they start yelling at me to turn on the hot water..lol so its basically bath water that they want..

6. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    Ooh a swedish blue! I have some kind of runner-swedish-cayuga mix! Mostly black but one fawn and white and one blue one. I love watching them swim and play! Your much nicer to yours LOL I don't heat the water up for them!

7. bubbastump22

Sep 16, 2012
    madison,fl
    [​IMG] these are my babys..then i got 1 month olds outside..there on my pro if u want to look

[​IMG]this is my 2 week old par of swedish that sleep with the babys.

[​IMG]arent they cute!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  8. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    They are super CUTE!! I am having baby duck envy! My two little babies just grew up![​IMG]

9. bubbastump22

Sep 16, 2012
    madison,fl
    i knw me to..and to think i brought those 4 babys home for the weekend..so now i get told i cant bring anymore home for the weekends now....LOL CAUSE I CANT TAKE THEM BACK....BWHAHA

10. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    HA-I'd probably do that to! Where do you work if you don't mind me asking that let's you(or used to!) bring the ducks home? Have you let them follow you around yet? It is so much fun when they do that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by