1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can't teach an old Dog New tricks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hickerbillies, Oct 19, 2008.

1. hickerbillies

hickerbillies Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    Salem
    Does this include Chickens? [​IMG]
    We have a hen that was here when we bought the property, she's a good layer, brooder & mommy, but she is mean to any & all new young chics that we introduce to the flock. She really goes bananas! She's about 3 years old and is a Cochin. I'm getting ready to add 11 week old Silkies & Blue Polish. Is there anyway we can retrain this chicken to be nicer? We've been here a year & the hen is use to us. We've saved her life a few times from wild critters.
    Thanks for any help.
    Kristal
    P.S. Old Dogs can learn new tricks.... So we hope our hen can too. [​IMG]

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

they will ALWAYS show the new chicks that THEY are top-dog,, but if she is extremely mean and keeps it up,, stand there till she does it, catch her, and THROW her in a crate or the coop, and keep there for an hour or so,, then repeat, and every time you need to repeat it,, keep her in there longer.

3. hickerbillies

hickerbillies Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    Salem
    We've have tried this over & over again, she'll wait until we're not looking & go full force again.:eek: We even caged her for a week. She is very mean. Would'nt stop even after there was blood. Of course we can't have this. I don't want to get rid of her because she is other wise a good girl. But she really isn't giving us much of a choice.[​IMG]

4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

yup id either make her , her own place to stay, get rid of her, or eat her,,,, and if you look at all my posts, i dont say that till everything has been done that should be,,, so she ISNT giving you much of a choice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by