Cant tell chicks apart. Buff Orpington or EEs? updated with more pics on pg 2

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dragonmorgan, Mar 7, 2012.

1. dragonmorgan

dragonmorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    We went and picked up 6 more chicks from the feed store today and I got 3 EEs (labeled as Amer chicks) and 2 buff orpingtons. I wasnt payin alot of attention when I was grabbing them. Just tryin to get the healthiest skittish looking ones (hopin for hens [​IMG]) and when I got home and got to looking I cant tell them apart. they all look the same except for 2. One has white wing feathers and the other doesnt really have any wing feathers. The coloring on the feathers is white and light tan just like on my golden comets. I thought both BOs and EEs were darker brown birds so I figured the wing feathers would set them apart but the more I look the more they look the same. Im hopin that you experienced chicken people can help me out.

Mystery chick #1
    [​IMG]

Mystery Chick #2
    [​IMG]

Mystery Chick #3
    [​IMG]

Mystery chick #4 (with the white wing feathers)
    [​IMG]

Mystery Chick #5 (with tiny wing feathers)
    [​IMG]

Im pretty sure I got one BO roo because everytime Id reach in to grab a chick one would peck my fingers. DH found it very funny and made me get the pecky one lol. I dont know for sure which one it was tho because now that they are home and in the brooder its not doin it anymore. Any help would be appreciated and any sex guesses would be welcome also.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  2. TonysChickens

TonysChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    They all look like BOs to me, but then im new to chickens. I saw on the mcmurray videos that EEs have this brown mark next to the eye. Those chicks don't have it and all look like my BOs, except for the white feathering.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    They are all around the color you might expect from hatchery BOs. Especially with those pink legs.

I have a whitish EE, and she was paler than my BO as a chick, but she also had green legs.

4. dragonmorgan

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    Ugh. Do all EEs have colored legs? Mines legs are all pink. I didnt see any with colored legs. I really hope i got EEs and not a bunch of BOs from 2 different bins lol. Could they be something else. They were labeled ameraucanas. Could that be what they are?

5. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Easter Eggers are mixed breed chickens that carry the dominate blue egg gene. They have no standard, and come in any appearance (due to their mixed heritage), and can lay any egg color. Hatcheries only sell Easter Eggers, which they often falsely advertise as Ameraucanas.
    It doesn't look like you have any Easter Eggers. It does appear that you may have two Buff Orpingtons #1 and #3. The other chicks look like a production hybrid (mixed colored feathers), or possibly a white rock (if they have solid white feathers)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  6. dragonmorgan

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    Well that just stinks. I was so lookin forward to some colorful eggs. Are the production hybrids egg layers?

7. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Yes, production hybrids would be red sexlinks, great egg layers!

8. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Well they aren't EE's, EE's have green/slate legs and have pea combs. I would say those are Buff Orpingtons and Production Reds.

9. dragonmorgan

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    I checked their combs and the one with the white feathers and the one with short white feathers have pea combs. the other 3 have single combs.

10. doulachicknmama

doulachicknmama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2012
    Texas
    I think you may have 3 BOs and 2 white rocks....they look exactly like the babies I have of those breeds, and nothing like my ameraucaunas. They had stripey backs and looked like chipmunks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by