1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can't tell chicks apart.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jolyn, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Someone posted a little bit ago (can't find the post) about not being able to tell chicks apart. There was a suggestion about putting a dot of washable marker on one of them. Someone said just don't use red or the others will peck at it. Purple is not a good color either.

I have two little yellow chics and i can never tell if it's Dolly or Bonny. So i tried the dot and RIGHT AWAY she started getting pecked. Holy cow they spotted it quickly.
    I did my best to get it off and i'm hoping she will be ok. Son just checked and he said she looks back to normal and no one is getting pecked. Shewwwwwwwwwwwww:/

2. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Wow, thanks for the warning. I was amazed today as well at how good their eye sight is. I feed them a worm for the first time ever (they are 4 weeks old) and the second I put it in the cage they spotted it (it was only a little canker (sp?) worm). They have really good eye sight! lol.

3. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Heh, I used green and blue markers and I can't see a dang thing, they all look green to me. So much for that idea...

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Try painting a toe nail.

5. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    don't feel bad we got 17 of em, I'm starting to notice a little differences in colors, some have more grey than others.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:Ummm no. [​IMG] I have pics of them as days old where my nail polish was totally attacked. hahahaha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by