1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can't tell if egg bound?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by creepygothnursi, Aug 2, 2013.

1. creepygothnursi

creepygothnursi Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    I have a 20 week old EE hen. Within the past week or so she has started walking with her tail down- not doing the classical penguin walk, just walking with her tail down. She seems to be moving a little slower than she used to but she is eating, runs around with the other hens, that sort of thing. Really the only symptom she has is the tail being down, where it was not before. Two of my six are laying so far and I can't tell if she is one of the two that is laying or not. Any ideas as to whether it might be egg binding, or something else? Also, I checked her over tonight when I put them in the coop and didn't see anything obvious-didn't appear to be any swelling or inflammation around the vent or anything like that.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Check for mites/lice and worms too.

3. creepygothnursi

Jun 27, 2013
    No mites or lice upon inspection this morning. She did, however, leave me a rather large buff-colored egg, so I'm thinking she may have decided to make my life easier. [​IMG] I haven't seen any worms in the stool but I may go ahead and worm them just in case. She seems to be walking normally this morning and her tail is back to its normal spot, so hoping she's just passed the egg.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh good...maybe just a tough egg to pass then.

5. creepygothnursi

Jun 27, 2013
    Yeah, she doesn't look like that picture at all, fortunately. Hoping it was a one-off case of an egg being tough to pass, but I'll continue to keep an eye on her.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by