1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can't tell if I have some Cornish Cross or White Plymouth Rocks

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jthorja, Apr 2, 2011.

1. jthorja

jthorja New Egg

Apr 2, 2011
    Hello a newbie here, I ordered a "brown layer assortment" from a hatchery. My chicks are a month old now all doing well, but three of them are just huge white birds
    about four times bigger than the others, I had to separate them. I read that Plymouth Rocks grow fast. My concern is that I am feeding and treating them as layers, and they may be broilers. Any tips on how I can tell the difference? Thanks would appreciate it. [​IMG]

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    My white rocks grew really fast and were always larger than the barred rocks. They had larger feet and weighed a ton! I loved them and would like to get more.

3. jthorja

jthorja New Egg

Apr 2, 2011
    thanks for your input I hope they are white plymouth rocks because I am getting attached to them.

4. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Well I would hope they are rocks if they were given to you in a layer assortment....

5. jthorja

jthorja New Egg

Apr 2, 2011
    I contacted the hatchery but the gal couldn't give me any info on how to tell the difference, she said they should be plymouth rocks also but mistakes can be made, so wasn't much help with the problem, tho' they did offer to give me a refund.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by