Can't tell if sick or...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChookenChook, Oct 6, 2012.

1. ChookenChook

ChookenChook New Egg

Oct 6, 2012
    One of my ISA Brown pullets, Henna Maroney, is taking a few steps and then falling to the ground, usually when near another hen, Hen 10. She had blood on her crest this morning and was crowing all through the night, and is laying eggs without shells. I rescued the three from a battery hen factory, where you can purchase the hens before they go into the cages. They had all been debeaked when I bought them. Is she getting attacked by Hen 10 (or Henneth the Page?), leading to her strange behaviour or could she be sick?

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    To me, it sounds like she is getting attacked by another hen. That's prob why she had blood on her crest, another hen was prob pecking at her during the night. The pecking order can get pretty brutal, especially for the ones at the bottom.
    For the eggs with no shells, I used to get those bout a year ago, when my girls first started laying. It just means that they don't have enough calcium so what you should do is save all of your eggshells, wash them right away, crunch them up, and them mix it up back into their food. It provides a fresh, natural and clean way to provide calcium.
    Any other option could be if your hen is sick, maybe she has worms, that's taking all of her energy to walk, causing her to fall down... But it's most likely that she's getting picked on. Just watch her and maybe give her some extra talc

Hope I helped!!!!

3. ChookenChook

ChookenChook New Egg

Oct 6, 2012
    Thanks, also her left leg looks very bruised (purple-blue?) but she doesn't flinch when touched, and she stands on it fine. Could it be broken?

4. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    it is possible that it is broken- maybe just make a small splint for her, and see how it goes, like if she can still walk with it on

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by