Can't tell the boy from the girls

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Clay In Iowa, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    I have 6 of MissPs beautiful BBS Orpingtons. I Got REALLY lucky and had 3 turn out to be blue. They are almost a month old now and for the life of me I cannot tell the hens from the cockerels. Is it too early??? Or is there a trick i don't know about Orps??

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Are any bigger than the others? Thicker legs? Bigger and or redder comb? More aggessive? Stands more upright, even tho found this to be iffy in picking out my roos! Anyways, these are some of the things I look for. If you can't see now, you will in a couple of weeks. Or, you can wait until they start crowing!! [​IMG]

3. Clay In Iowa

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    Yea I think crowing and/or egg laying might be dead giveaways. [​IMG]

I have 4 other breeds and have been able to tell by one month which were boys and which were girls. These guys all look the same to me. I'm REALLY hoping I don't have 6 boys.

I got them with a plan in mind. If they are hens they will be the queens of the flock. They will be pampered and babied and treated to fatness like no other chicken could dream of. They will be my incubators and brooders for the entire flock. So I need a few hens to keep my plans alive.

4. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Show us picutres. A clearn shot from the side and a clear head shot. We will do our best to help you.

5. Clay In Iowa

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    I'll try to get some shots tonight. [​IMG]

6. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    nice chicks!! god i hope mine are all pullet's...i have a thread up with pictures!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by