can't tell the difference b/t Cuckoo Maran & Barred Rock

Penske

Songster
12 Years
Dec 28, 2007
Massachusetts
I am supposed to have 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Cuckoo Marans.
I can not tell the difference b/t the two! I read a post that BR have yellow legs and CM have white/grey, but at 6 days old-the legs are all the same! The legs are kind of litght orange with black smudging. The only difference is that 2 have 3 tiers of wing feathers and 2 only have 1.5.

Can anyone help?

Lisa

kstaven

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Jan 26, 2007
BC, Washington Border
You are correct Silkie. The odd time you will hatch a marans chick with black legs. French standard Marans will have a line of feathers going down the leg also.

Cetawin

Chicken Beader
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NW Kentucky
Lisa maybe these will help...

1 day old barred rock chick...note the leg color very distinct

3 day old maran chicks...again note the leg color very distinctly pale... much lighter than the barred

You should be able to tell by their legs I would think. Sorry I do not own either to be able to compare baby pics.

Good luck

Last edited:

Penske

Songster
12 Years
Dec 28, 2007
Massachusetts
Thanks all for your help.

MPC confirmed that I did get 2 of each. It's funny though...the legs are all the same color! I'll guess I'll just wait and see "who's who!"

Lisa

MaransGuy

Songster
12 Years
Oct 25, 2007
Greenfield, MA
A marans will not have the same color legs as a barred rock chick. What did MPC tell you the difference was? Unfortunately, so many cuckoo marans have been crossed with barred rocks that is has really messed up the quality. I am anxious to know how they said to tell the difference.

Richard

Top Bottom