Can't tell the difference between baby chick breeds... Confused hatcher.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MisfitMarie, Feb 1, 2015.

1. MisfitMarie

MisfitMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Portland, OR
    So, I made a mistake. I hatched some Plymouth Barred Rocks and some Blue Ameraucana chicks today. Before they fully dried off, I placed them all into the brooder under the warmth of the heat lamp.

I assumed that, once fully dry, there would be distinct differences between breeds.

I am growing concerned that I will not be able to tell the difference between the Blue Ameraucana chicks and the Plymouth Barred Rock chicks... As they continue to dry off and "puff out", they are only looking more similar!

[​IMG] These chicks are for a couple family members and a dear friend, so its important to me to get the breeds right! There are quite a few more, on their way out, that I will mark before putting them into the brooder with the rest of them... but I have eight chicks currently that I need to decipher.

Am I worrying too much? Maybe I can take them out into some natural light in the morning and see if I can tell...

Any tips? They're all under a red heat lamp which could be throwing me off a bit....

From now on, I will be marking the different breeds, even if they look completely different.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  2. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

I don't know anything about barred rocks, but I see that they have yellow legs. I do know about Ameraucana chicks though and can tell you that they will be blue with a cream color belly or chest and have slate colored legs, even at hatch, or a combo of slate with pink or flesh color toes. The bottom of their feet will be white, not yellow. Now, this is assuming you have real Ameraucanas and not Easter eggers. Most think they have Ameraucanas but really have Easter eggers. I can't help you if they are Easter eggers because those birds and chicks come in all different kinds of colors. Even their legs.
    Post some pics when they dry off.

3. MisfitMarie

MisfitMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Portland, OR
  4. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

The lighting is bad in the picture but from what I see, no, those are not real Ameraucanas. The part about the egg color is irrelevant. It is always best to keep a cockeral from the best colored egg since it's much harder to determine what color egg genes males carry. But I have said before, blue is subjective. The Ameraucana Breeders club has an egg color chart and it holds a vast array of blue to blue green egg color and even some greenish colored eggs. Now, who is going to argue with the people that established the breed? Listen to Pips and Peep, she also knows what she is talking about.

I'm afraid the guy who sold you the eggs mixed his flock. He may have had a nice blue cockeral, but it's background may have been iffy or he used the guy on other EE's and that's why you have chicks that don't resemble true blues.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by