Cant tell what sex they are help?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by littlebirdoz, May 18, 2011.

1. littlebirdoz

littlebirdoz Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Riverhead
    I am wondering when it is normal to get the combs. My girls(?) are 6 weeks and one has a very pronounced comb. She(?) is a mutt maybe barred rock. One is a long horn with a teensy comb and then I have a buff cochin which has started showing a comb too. When do they get them?
    The man we got them from will swap them out for hens but my daughter has become quite attached and it feels weird switching them if we aren't sure. He couldn't tell from the pictures I sent him.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TIA

Rebekah
    Long Island

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  2. stellacat

stellacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I am not to sure but for barred rocks lighter barred rocks are cockerels whereas darker barred rocks are pullets. BTW if you don't know this already you can click on the uploads button on the blue bar near the top of the screen to post pics. [​IMG] btw

3. littlebirdoz

May 18, 2011
    Riverhead
    Thank you. I thought there was a waiting period! I can get better pics too if needed?
    [​IMG]:clap

4. ThompsonFunnyFarm12

ThompsonFunnyFarm12 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    I think cockerels

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

At six weeks, the first one looks like a Barred Rock cross cockerel--those can be quite dark. You can't sex the crosses the same as pure BRs. Never saw a huge comb like that on a pure BR pullet, not ever, and there have been many BR chicks come through here over the last five years, not to mention BR crosses.

6. littlebirdoz

May 18, 2011
    Riverhead
    I just posted a new picture of a different one that I suspect too. This one is a longhorn
    Thanks for the help so far [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think you mean "leghorn", not longhorn, which is a type of cattle. Not sure on that one. Leghorns usually have much larger combs, including the pullets, so I can never sex those.

8. littlebirdoz

May 18, 2011
    Riverhead
    haha yes leghorn lol

9. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    The first 3 pics look like roos, if they have bigger red combs by six weeks you can assume they are roos! Your 4th pic of the leghorn, looks like a pullet so far!
    Edited to add, full body shots are better!

10. littlebirdoz

May 18, 2011
    Riverhead
    I had a real hard time getting them to stay still...lol Maybe this one is better

Rebekah

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by