Can't tell which end is which... Perfectly oval eggs! Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickadeeNMe, Nov 13, 2015.

1. ChickadeeNMe

ChickadeeNMe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Hello fellow chicken lovers. I received a small shipment of fertile eggs today and there are a couple that I can't tell which end the air sac is in. They are perfectly oval, no fat end, no pointy end. Is there a way to tell which end is which without candling? They are BCM eggs and really dark. Not sure if I will be able to tell. I will try tonight when it's dark, but was hoping someone would have some advice. I thought I read something about it, but I can't find the article for the life of me. Thanks a bunch!

2. ChickadeeNMe

Apr 12, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    I figured it out. I tried to delete my post, but I can't find where I can do that. Lack of sleep, maybe. [​IMG]

3. twisted-acres-farm

twisted-acres-farm Maiah and daughter dob aug 2, 2017 Premium Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Dickinson, North Dakota
    glad you figured it out GOOD LUCK with the incubation.

4. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    just an FYI, you can always candle an egg to see the air sack and know which end is which and that's really the best way to do so. the BCM can be hard to see development in but the air sack is usually easy to pick out.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  5. ChickadeeNMe

Apr 12, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Thank you! I've got my husband building me a candler right this very moment so I can be sure.

6. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by