Can't wait to get my 25+ chick random mix next week!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sarahandbray, Aug 13, 2014.

1. sarahandbray

sarahandbray Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    I know everyone has favorite breeds...and I've read a LOT in the past few weeks about different ones...but in the end, the excitement of the surprise (and the low price tag!), led me to the random assortment of 25 chicks at McMurray.

[​IMG]

I know...they're straight-run and I don't know what breeds I'm getting into...but first time out the gate? I think it will be fun and quite the learning lesson! All vaccinated in case I want to give some away.
    Any words of wisdom for me?
    I think I have the brooder all set--just have to fashion the lid. [​IMG]

And obviously get the bedding in it--I have it, though! Super excited!
    Sarah in Albany, NY

2. ktn65

ktn65 Out Of The Brooder

I think it is exciting [​IMG] and I may try it next spring just for fun once I get my facilities all set up.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

My only advice is....you're gonna need a bigger brooder. That one's only going to last maybe 2 weeks. 25 is a LOT of chicks!

Also, you'll need a plan for the dozen or so cockerels.

1 person likes this.
  4. sarahandbray

Aug 12, 2014
    I had a feeling it may be too small...even though it's the biggest dog crate I've ever seen! Ever!
    I'll try to get hubby to make something in the meantime...low to the ground, right?
    How do most people with 25 chicks do it?!!

Or am I just nuts! Was hoping for about a dozen - 15 hens total.
    Sarah

5. ktn65

ktn65 Out Of The Brooder

I have 25 CX broilers that are two weeks old and I started them in a 4' x 4' brooder I made. They are starting to look crowded. This weekend they are going outside to the grow out chicken tractor that is 10' x 8'.

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    You will have so much fun! That dog crate will work fine for a while, but it's time to get the coop ready if it's not already done. The chicks can move to the coop with the heat lamp in one corner, after two or three weeks. Have fun figuring out breeds and sex of growing babies. Mary

7. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm with Mary, I'd just put them in the coop.

8. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    GO BIGGER BROODER! It may look huge to them at first But they will stick pretty close to the warmth of the light at first, and probably won't even dirty the rest of the brooder but if you don't get a bigger space prepared before they get here you will be putting something together in a hurry once you see how fast they grow! Here is some comparison pics, I made just for this very subject, [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The 4 week old barred rock in the pic above is one of these little fuzzballs that I had just picked up from the hatchery that weren't even a day old yet!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. sarahandbray

Aug 12, 2014
    Thanks!! Chicks will be shipped out Tues. This upcoming week, my hubby and his friend are concentrating on building our back deck while I tend to our chicks (and three kids...and three dogs...and two bunnies!). The following week will be fashion-a-coop time. I'm hoping to retrofit a large pony shed as the "coop," but may start fresh.
    We have a 36'x53' Morton Building and I'm tempted to build the coop off the back of that. Could walk from driveway through to back of Morton building and out the back door very easily...just wondering if that's too close to the house (maybe 100' from our back door total to the coop). Nice thing about that is that we could easily run electricity to it.
    What would you do? And assuming we want to keep 20 hens on average, we should have 5 nesting boxes or so?

New to all this chicken talk--just devoured two books on raising chickens tonight! I'm a reading/research-aholic, so this seems like a good pastime for me. ;)
    Sarah

10. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm okay with having the birds fairly close to the house, but that's going to be a personal preference thing. Birds are noisy (even hens) and do draw flies, even with a well-managed coop/run. If you have mud issues, there can be a smell in the wet season.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by