1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cant wait to see my chicks!!!! :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sausym, Feb 6, 2013.

1. sausym

sausym New Egg

Feb 2, 2013
    Hello Everyone!

I am totally new to the wonderful world of chickens, and am learning so much thanks to all of the wonderful knowledge on BYC

A week ago I placed my first order with my local "chicken lady" we are getting 2 Easter Eggers, 2 white bantam silkies, 2 buff bantam silkies and 2 speckled sussex. All set to hatch mid March. Since the silkies are straight run I am wondering what my chances are of getting a roo.. According to my local "code enforcement team" [​IMG] I am allowed to have roosters where I live.. But do I want one??? After reading several posts on the pros to having a rooster, I was thinking it may be nice to have one.. I like the idea of being able to have hatch my own chicks sometime in the future.

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Welcome to BYC!

I love your breed choices. It is really a personal preference as far as having a rooster goes. Do a search on the forum, and find a few old threads debating the pro's and con's of having a rooster. This is what helped me decide. Being able to hatch your own eggs sure is exciting.

Good Luck to you!

3. sausym

sausym New Egg

Feb 2, 2013
    Thanks for the advice :) that is exactly what I have been doing... lots and lots of reading.. I guess I will just have to see how it goes.. I guess there is a chance I don't get any roosters, but now after all I have read I kinda think I want one :) Of course I wouldn't want to hatch any eggs for a while so it seems I would be making sure to collect any eggs on the daily to ensure no fertilized ones slip by :)

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011

The rooster fertilizes the hen prior to her laying eggs. So if you have a rooster with your birds (and he is old enough) then your hens eggs will most likely be fertile. However, you can still eat these fertile eggs. No chick will form inside of the egg if you or your hen don't incubate them. I'm sure you know this, but I just want to make sure. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by