Can't walk! Broken feet???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joyous, Jan 2, 2011.

1. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. Buckeye roo 12 weeks
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Can't walk, moves backward by pushing back with hocks
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 3 days
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?NO
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Feet are limp, will flex slightly when stroked.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. No idea., was fine , then an hour later went into the coop and not walking. I wonder if it flew off the roost and landed wrong???

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Good appetite, Meat bird crumbles.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. normal
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I put a round padded piece of card board on bottom of feet and v wrapped the toes in a normal position. Also have him hanging in a sling in a box inside so he can move his legs
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I want to treat myself.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. not at this moment. But no wounds, no swelling, does not feel hot. Looks completely normal except limp.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Was in a large coop with dry shavings. Not picked on, or bullied.

so, am i just prolonging his misery? should I cull him? How long should I try this current treatment before there are signs of improvement?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
  3. manichicks

manichicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    I think things that cause paralysis are Marek's (range paralysis), Newcastle's (one of the four forms), and Botulism. Mycoplasma can cause lameness, but i think you feel heat in the hock.
    There is some kind of treatment for botulism, i have seen that posted somewhere, using epsom salts in solution and oral dosing and keeping him cool. I am a big one for prolonging the agony because i cannot recognize what it is. Sometimes something mechanical like an engorged crop causes a young bird to loose their balance, but i think 12 weeks is pretty old. Since Newcastle's is a virus, I think you could potentially nurse the bird with aspirin and sugar water and soft feed (why meat crumbles?) And the other possibility is a nutritional deficiency since meat bird crumbles are intended for broilers and they have a shortlife. So you could try the polyvisol drops (no iron).

4. joyous

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    Thanks for your answers. Sounds like it could be Mereks, but it happened so suddenly I thought it was an accident. I Went in the coup this morning and found my 7 month old dorking hen was laying under the roost dead. I don't think they were vaccinated because the place I got them from tries to do everything organically, but I could be wrong..I''' check that out. I was told to feed meat crumbles because a buckeye needs extra protein?! I also have a mixed flock of guineas and chickens. The 7 month pullet that died looks healthy and robust, no signs of parasites no crop impaction, did feel and egg up high. I have two 12 week olds left, besides the roo, they seem fine., and the rest of the flock all seem fine, egg laying has actually gone up in the last two weeks.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  5. joyous

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    One more thing, If it is Mareks, should I vaccinate the rest of the flock? I have chickens ranging from 12 weeks to almost 2 years old. I am also planning to hatch soon, I will definitely vaccinate the babies.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If I were you I'd start with the feed. Meat crumbles does not sound like it is a complete feed, so a vitamin deficiency comes to mind right away. I'd switch to a grower or flock raiser or even game bird feed, and supplement with a few drops of infant vitamins every day or even twice a day.

7. joyous

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    I meant crumbles for meat birds, Since I have a mixed flock, with guineas, and chickens, and buckeyes requiring more protein, and young pullets all together, I use food for meat chickens and supply free choice oyster shell. But Perhaps you are right and I should try flock raiser instead. All of the birds have looked the picture of health, glossy feathers, bright eyes, energetic and busy, pink healthy combs! This has just thrown me for a loop! I have tried to raise them mostly organically except for wormer, but I am going to rethink vaccinating when I hatch new chicks! I am now afraid to go out and check on them, afraid to see signs of the disease in the others! I have a vitamin mineral supplement for chickens that I put in their water occasionally, I will put that in and maybe get the drops in the future as you suggest.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Go ahead and start putting the vit. min supplement into their water now. Best not to wait.

9. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    I have a porcelain d'uccle rooster who was going through the same thing. One day he could walk and the next day he couldn't. This was about a month ago. I thought he had broken his legs or something. For about 3 weeks, he would walk around on his hocks and eat and seemed like he was fine. About a week ago, I went to let the chickens out of the coop and he did not come out. Finally, he flew out of the coop and started to get picked on by my two ee roosters. So, I brought him inside, gave him a bath, put some bag balm on his hock and comb because he had some sores on them, and started feeding him some flock raiser along with some water/vitamin solution. I have two chickens in the house because the one is a very tiny modern game and the other is a young silkie and they were getting to cold outside. He is now walking and standing on his feet. The three of them are now good buds and he seems alot happier.

I hope my experience helps you and I hope your bird gets better. All in all, I suggest giving your rooster some water mixed with vitamins, some flock raiser, and a place to be kept calm and separate from your flock. Good luck [​IMG]

10. joyous

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    Thanks everyone, I am doing all of the above. Sadly, we culled the cockerel yesterday as he seemed pretty miserable after having him the the house and doing everything I could think of. I am so afraid that it is Merak's that I didn't want an infection source, since I found the another hen dead. So far none of the other flock is exhibiting any signs or symptoms, I am holding my breath!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by