Can't walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lou52, Aug 2, 2014.

1. lou52

lou52 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Help!!!
    I have read other posts, but can't find the exact symptoms........
    My 5 mth barred rock(already laying) started out limping with one foot for about 2weeks......thought roost was too high, so we brought it down....now it's both legs and she can't walk at all. She was vaccinated as a newborn, so I don't think it could b meraks .
    Can someone PLEASE help????
    Today, not knowing for sure what to do, I soaked her legs in warm soapy water, then applied Vaseline.
    Now I notice another hen has a small limp.

Please send me where I can get answers! Ty very much?.
    . .

2. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry I cant help you, dont know but I would post this in the emergencys section....
    Good luck

3. lou52

lou52 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Ty

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How high are your roosts now, and do they jump over your fences? It's possible that while limping on the sore leg, she injured the other. I would check foot pads on both chickens for swelling or a dark spot on the bottoms. Check the legs and joints for any swelling or redness. Feel of the legs and try to see if the legs move or the toes curl and move. Can they stand at all? Do you have roosters that may be getting rough with them? Has any one of the chickens had any respiratory symptoms lately? Are you certain they were vaccinated for Mareks, and not coccidiosis?

5. lou52

lou52 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Roosts now are about 3/4 ft. No fences. ( funny that the other girl starting limping, one leg effected, also before the bringing down of the roosts.) no more affected. I will re check the legs and feet, but I didn't notice anything. Toes curl on the worst one....., not walking.
    Second is good so far, just a mild limp.
    No roosters.
    No respiratory problems....
    Not sure ov the vaccination.
    Got the chicks, one day old, from Back Yard Chickens.
    Thanks for responding....

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Poultry vitamins in the water (Rooster Booster, Avian Super Pack, Poultry ProVita) would be good to use on those 2 with limps. I would keep them caged for a week or 2 to rest the legs. I would still watch for any symptoms of Mareks disease, but hopefully it is just a leg sprain.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. lou52

lou52 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Ty, I will certainly try this!
    I appreciate your time.
    Cindy Lou

8. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Have you checked the soles of their feet? Bumble foot will render them lame.

Even in the best of scientifically balanced feeds vitamins are lost after a 2 month storage period ,moisture, humidity and heat are all detrimental to the vitamin levels. Fingers crossed that a good supplement like the ones eggcessive has listed will see them right.

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  9. lou52

lou52 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    I see no bumble feet.
    But today, my second hen with a small limp sneezed a lot when they were eating their corn mix that I always give them when I let them into the run.
    It is sawdust. No one ever sneezed before.
    Shall I treat? Or wait?

10. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Sawdust can irritate them and cause upper respiratory symptoms . Do you feed a layer pellet ? Is the corn mix crushed or whole grain ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by