Can't we all just get along?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by VAeggman, May 24, 2010.

1. VAeggman

VAeggman Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    I have 12-20 week old pullets and a rooster. Friday I added 6- 1 year old leghorns. The pullets wont leave the leghorns alone. Poor leghorns won't come out of the coupe. When they did they all hudled in a corner. The rooster seems to be aggressive towards them too. He has always been a good boy. I have plenty of coupe and run space. Yesterday they seem to get along a little better. I'm just hoping it improves. Wife and kids are not happy about the leghorn feathers getting picked. Somebody tell me what I want to hear.....They just need a little more time??? I'm surprised the young girls are so aggressive.

2. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Okay... They just need more time [​IMG] Seriously though there probably just sorting out the pecking order i wouldn't worry about it unless there drawing blood. Keep an eye on that roo though sometimes they can be a little over friendly... if you catch my drift [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Time should bring them all together. Watch for too much picking, though. If one of those leghorns starts to bleed it shows up like a spotlight against their white feathers. If the bleeding starts the picking won't stop until serious damage has been inflicted. You may want to pick up some Blukote or pine tar as a precautionary measure. That way if one starts to bleed you can cover it immediately. A word about pine tar if you haven't used it before- it's a nasty mess that gets all over everything. It works to stop feather picking, but I think it's such a disaster to use that I would opt for the Blukote first, myself.

Good luck.

4. VAeggman

VAeggman Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    Thanks everybody! Thats what I wanted to hear! I don't think we are near bleeding. Its not that bad. Today is the first day I have not been around to help them a little. It would make my day to come home and a mixed yard of hens instead of the leghorns hiding in the coupe or corner or the run.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Don't worry, every day will get better....things will be sorted out with your newbies real soon and everything will be peachy![​IMG] It is hard to watch though.......

6. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    You keep your birds in a car??? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Terry

Terry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lexington,NC
    Quote:[​IMG]

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your chickens to play nice together really soon [​IMG]

8. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Give them some time. The pecking order must first come into place and have their own spots of the coop etc.....
    But if the leghorns get pecked and start to bleed remove them and nurse them before ou try again.
    Crossing fingers for you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by