Can't we all just get along??

kressg23

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 12, 2008
Idaho
Hi All!

My banties (3 roosters and 1 hen) are 4-1/2 months old now. My RIRs are 2-1/2 months, but slightly bigger than the banties. However, my banty rooster has my RIRs so scared that he won't even let them eat unless I physically separate them. He is very obviously the ruler of the pack, but holy cow, will they ever reach a time when they can live together peacefully? The RIRs refuse to go outside of the coop on their own as long as the banties are anywhere to be seen. So, I took them out the door of the coop into free range space today, just so they could enjoy the outdoors. The banties were inside the run, and not able to get to them. Anyway, I know they are just being chickens. I guess I just hope that once the RIRs get full grown, they don't take their frustration out on the little banty who has tormented them for the past month.

First, how many RIR's do you have and are they all girls? It's just not a good situation with so many boys and only one mature hen. I'm surprised the boys haven't seriously injured her or each other. A single rooster can easily handle 15-20 hens. With three boys and one girl you can see why they might be a bit frustrated.

If you can seperate the boys away from the girls until everyone matures it would be better for everyone. I've found that if they can't see the females they stay much calmer and don't fight. Things do settle down eventually once everyone grows up. Good luck.
smile.png

I have 4 banties - 3 males and 1 female (not intentional, I can assure you) and 2 RIRs - 1 male and 1 female (again not intentional). I also have 8 baby chicks who are all female, but they are separated from the others. I'll try to figure out a way to separate the males... at least the banty males from the flock. They are the only ones causing the problems at this point.

MY bantam roo does the same and the hens are mean.....to my babies and my new four large hens.....maybe it is a territorial thing that is what I am thinking ....taking it day to day and watching them to see what happens

Back
Top Bottom