1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cantaloupe innards ok?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by crazy hen quartet, Apr 2, 2009.

1. crazy hen quartet

crazy hen quartet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Chandler AZ
    Just want to check.. I would assume yes but I hate to assume anything. Are the seeds, goey innards and rinds of a cantaloupe ok for the girls?

2. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    They love them-my chickens hardly let them hit the ground! They'd be happier if you gave them the whole thing, though!

3. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Oh man! That is the very definition of chicken crack!

4. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    I can't even get the slices all the way into the brooder before my five week old girls start pecking...it's like watching six pirahnas!! [​IMG]

5. crazy hen quartet

Dec 20, 2008
    Chandler AZ
    Alright then, out to the pen we go!! Wish me luck, hope I don't get eaten alive...

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I hope she makes it out...Mine can't even make normal noises because of all the snarfing when they see cantaloupe guts...I love tossing the old, cheapos from the grocery store in there, cut in half! It's the best fun ever!

7. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    I agree, chicken crack for sure. Mine love all sorts of fruit but the seeds and pulp and rinds from the melon are my flocks favs.

8. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    hehe waiting to hear back.... [​IMG]

9. crazy hen quartet

Dec 20, 2008
    Chandler AZ
    Ha ha! Well, I walked in with a see thru bowl full of guts and as I was trying to close the door they were hopping up and hitting the bowl with their beaks - either trying to knock it over (smart hens!) or trying to eat the food right thru the bowl (not so smart hens) honestly I suspect a little of both, lol

Anyway it wasn't quite the excitement I get with grapes, cheese or ham, but this was their first time and so I suspect that future melons may well start a riot. They did love it though, and made very quick work of what I gave them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by