Cantaloupe recall

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mommissan, Sep 16, 2011.

1. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    **Merged Threads** Original Question from carladababe: I just found out that the cantaloupes I've been buying and consuming are on the recall list and I've been sick. I'm not sure if it could be contaminted product or something else. I talked to the store (Aldi) and have been advised to return the remaining cantaloupe and see my doctor. I have given my chickens some of the same cantaloupe, they do not seem ill. Anyone know if chickens can get sick from this?

~Lisa, BYC Moderator~

I grew up eating all kinds of pathogens in our food. Builds up the immune system. I'm not sure how listeria manifests in chickens. I would monitor them for the next few days, but I wouldn't worry too much. You seem to be well enough to post this message. I think if you and your chickens are very healthy, you will all be fine. Those with compromised immune systems are the ones to worry about.​

2. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    I'll try the question here also; I have bought and consumed cantaloupe on the recall list for "Listeria" and have been sick. I'm not sure if it is from contaminted product or something else.The store (Aldi) recommended to return the remaining cantaloupe and see a doctor. I have given some of this cantaloupe to my chickens who do not look or act ill. Can chickens get sick from this?[​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:The young, old, and infirm... most others should be able to just fight low levels of the bacteria off. That said, now a days it is good practice to scrub the outsides of your ground dwelling veggies with soap and a brush as that would wash most of the issues away.

4. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    Thank you for the replies. I wear this big S on my chest and don't worry about myself too often but my girls are just little birds, and am new to this. I worry, I fret, but I feel better after the support, so thank you again. [​IMG]

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    So sorry that you've been sick. UGH!! I'd want to know FOR SURE that I had Listeria, and if my chickens could be contaminated with this infection long term... Good luck, Mary

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    This is why I grow my own melons. [​IMG] And, I don't even live in a place where it is very possible to grow melons. . . [​IMG]

7. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I am so glad I grew my own this year...

I hope you feel better, and that its not listeria, and that your chickens will be unaffected.

8. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    I watch my girls free-range, and it makes me cringe when I see them sneaking into my compost pile. I shoo them away, for fear they might dredge up something horrid and eat it.... and they do- ugh! However, they are still happy and healthy so far.[​IMG] They even unearthed one of my roosters heads a few weeks after I butchered him and tossed his remains in the compost... agghh!!!! [​IMG]. Good luck to all of you and I hope you recover soon. It's no fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by