Cantaloupe?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by OrpingtonHopeful, Jun 9, 2009.

1. OrpingtonHopeful

OrpingtonHopeful Songster

May 17, 2009
    Got a lovely cantaloupe here. Rather than dumping the seeds and rind in the compost pile, may I feed it to the chicks?

Didn't see it specifically on the treat chart and I am a newbie, so I figured I better check first [​IMG]

They are 3 weeks old and have grit....

Thanks all!

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I don't see why not. My ducks don't like it, but they do like watermelon.

3. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Songster

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    my chickens love it.... [​IMG]

4. antlers

antlers Songster

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    Quote:yes but they will leave the outer 1/32 inch of skin. Everything else gone in a blink.

5. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    My chickens love it also, and watermelon. They don't care for bananas at all or apples. The only ones that eat the apples are the Phoenix

6. gratefulchick

gratefulchick In the Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    My girls go crazy over cantaloupe. I laughed at the 1/32 of the skin left-I can't believe the perfect thin peel they leave!

7. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    i bought a canteloupe monday and cut it up yesterday and threw the skin and seeds to them (first time they have had it) and they devoured the seeds and picked at the little rind and fruit that was on the skin.

but things I have read say there can be a slight drop in egg production. which is ok for me, I have about 2 dozen in the frig, so I can afford a little slow down

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: