Cantankerous Roo

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MaryWheatley, Jan 22, 2015.

1. MaryWheatley

MaryWheatley Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2014
    What to do????? We got a new rooster last fall who is continuing to "abuse" the hens....he bites them about the head and even took a bite out of one of their combs??? He approaches or chases them down, they submit and crouch and then sometimes, he doesn't breed the hen, he just pecks her about the head.

This seems a bit nasty....other roo never did anything like this. He would breed hens, but didn't beat them up. Any suggestions?? Is he just trying to drive them off for some reason, or is he just a mean guy??? Trying to decide whether he goes in the stewpot or what???

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He's earned a trip to the stewpot.

3. MaryWheatley

Sep 3, 2014
    Can you actually have a roo and they don't treat the girls this way????

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Absolutely - sounds as if your first rooster was this sort.

5. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Chances are pretty good that he's just a mean roo. What little I understand about breeding chickens (I mean in terms of genetic traits, not the physical act) is that few people understand it very well. Meaning, a good breeder will have an eye for which pairs might make a mean rooster. Most hatcheries don't control much of the breeding within a particular breed.

Sounds like time for chicken soup to me.

6. MaryWheatley

Sep 3, 2014
    He's good w people-- raised by kids, etc.
    just seems like he's trying to drive the hens away. He's very attached to one, but is evil to others:((

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by