Cantilope?????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Dingleberry, May 16, 2010.

1. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    So I gave my hens cantilope insides and corn for a treat and they 1st ate /fought to get the cantilope and then went after the corn. [​IMG] I assume Cantilope is ok for them?? [​IMG]

2. AccioSarah

AccioSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    I have some left over... and I've been I wondering the same thing...
    I guess I'll wait and see what other people say... [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Just like watermelon. They love it.

4. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    My hens are still just as fine as they were before the fruit. I just wonder how much is too much for 5 hens???? They had it first 2 weeks ago with no ill effect

5. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Ours love any fruit, including melons. For best laying, keep it to 10-15% of their total feed for the day. Cantalope and other fruits are great treats to them, and are not bad for them. However, they also have no protein and will reduce laying if they eat a lot of it. And really...gorging on any one thing isn't good for any animal. Overindulging can cause digestive upset or the runs.

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Cantaloupe is a great treat for summer time, especially on hot days when you offer it cold out of the refrigerator (I wouldn't do this for very young chicks, though). We always give our hens the rinds with a little of the fruit left on it; they pick it clean.

One of the things I love about chickens: they're thrifty and frugal and waste almost nothing (unlike parrots)!

7. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Mine love it, especially the seeds. My kids eat a lot of cantaloupe, so I scoop out the seeds and give those to the chickens. They lose their minds over it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by