Canyou do 4-H with a chicken?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by fushalilly, Mar 11, 2009.

1. fushalilly

fushalilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Im a junior in high school and I have three beutiful hens. I really want to get involved in FFA and 4-h but I have no idea how to go about it. My parents have no clue either. (im in RI)

Could anyone help me find some info online?

2. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I'd suggest calling your local high school to see if they have an Ag teacher. If so, he/she will know all about 4H. If not, call city hall or the Chamber of Commerce and ask for the name and number of the local County Extension Agent.

Good luck!

Kathy in Texas

PS: 4H is a big deal around here. So big that the schools shut down when the County Fair takes place, because so many kids are showing animals (horses, pigs, cows, goats, turkeys, rabbits, and chickens).

3. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    You should be able to find the info online, or call your local extension office. The extension office is usually found in your county offices.

I just did a quick search and found this link http://www.uri.edu/coopext/4H/ I would start there!

4. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

My girls are going to be showing chickens in the fair this year. You may want to Google FFA or 4-H groups in RI. Good luck!

5. fushalilly

fushalilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Yeah I cheked out the FFA here in RI and my school doesnt have a chapter, so I cannot do that [​IMG] Ill look into 4H

6. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Do it! I am in 4-H and i love it i am the president of my club. Just google RI 4-H

7. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    Contact the Extension office and ask them if they can tell you which local 4-H Clubs have a Poultry Group in their club. They should be able to provide you with a contact for the club/group. Have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by