Poco Pollo

Vista de Nada Farm
14 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Haskell, OK
8787E32D-069D-4AA8-826F-A52725AD3113.jpeg

Greetings to all interested in learning to caponize and those seeking more information regarding this lost agricultural art. I have over ten years of caponizing experience and am now teaching others how to caponize cockerels. I use Zoom classes, videos, and written instruction. The photo above shows my capon toolset.

I've had my hands on nearly every toolset available, and the only tools I recommend are designed and made in China. NOTE: Not all capon toolsets made in China are equal. I teach students how to use the Small Cockerel Toolset (shown above), which has a round blade/tweezer tool, a paddle/wire tool, and a small cockerel rib dilator. The spoon probe is extra, and I encourage my students to use them. Every tool in the set works as intended. These tools will last through many years of use if cleaned and stored correctly. Students may find they want to enlarge their toolset as they gain experience. The photo shows a narrow tweezer and a modified sharp probe/wire tool on either side of the spoon probe. I use these extra tools frequently, which is why they are shown with my original set.

I know this is late notice for September, but a few of you may be looking for information quickly. I have a basic skills class scheduled for Saturday, September 3rd, and the lab portion of instruction for September is on the 4th. I will post in this thread when I have the class dates for October. I'm happy to answer general questions here on BYC, but taking a Zoom class is a better option for lengthy explanations and direct instruction. For general questions, feel free to post in this thread. For specific information, please go to my website, which is listed under my avatar. MousePotatoFarm.com. Use the Contact form on my website to send me an email.

Hi @Poco Pollo ! I still have the instruments I bought from you!! However, not too many capons - health issues here this year in the form of a broken leg that needed a plate and screws to fix (all better now)

Hi @Acre4Me! Oh my. Sounds like you've been through a lot. I'm making lots of capons here, and since I retired from teaching high school, I wanted to find a way to keep teaching. Yeah...teaching is a congenital defect. Now I have adults in my classes, but not everyone has the same level of interest. I've set things up to make it easier for people to figure it out without spending lots of money.

I have caponized a lot of birds and did side by side blind taste tests...and it seems kind of pointless today with the meat birds. I caponized a bunch of Bresse cockerels and the "run of the mill" meat birds tasted way better...even after feeding the Bresse cracked corn in whole milk for three weeks before slaughter. The surgical component was fun but seemed totally pointless with today's chickens

I would only do it if you want the challenge and you already have surgical skills. Otherwise, total waste of time....there's no reason if you buy meat chickens.

View attachment 3240623

Greetings to all interested in learning to caponize and those seeking more information regarding this lost agricultural art. I have over ten years of caponizing experience and am now teaching others how to caponize cockerels. I use Zoom classes, videos, and written instruction. The photo above shows my capon toolset.

I've had my hands on nearly every toolset available, and the only tools I recommend are designed and made in China. NOTE: Not all capon toolsets made in China are equal. I teach students how to use the Small Cockerel Toolset (shown above), which has a round blade/tweezer tool, a paddle/wire tool, and a small cockerel rib dilator. The spoon probe is extra, and I encourage my students to use them. Every tool in the set works as intended. These tools will last through many years of use if cleaned and stored correctly. Students may find they want to enlarge their toolset as they gain experience. The photo shows a narrow tweezer and a modified sharp probe/wire tool on either side of the spoon probe. I use these extra tools frequently, which is why they are shown with my original set.

I know this is late notice for September, but a few of you may be looking for information quickly. I have a basic skills class scheduled for Saturday, September 3rd, and the lab portion of instruction for September is on the 4th. I will post in this thread when I have the class dates for October. I'm happy to answer general questions here on BYC, but taking a Zoom class is a better option for lengthy explanations and direct instruction. For general questions, feel free to post in this thread. For specific information, please go to my website, which is listed under my avatar. MousePotatoFarm.com. Use the Contact form on my website to send me an email.
i definitely wouldn't use that kit. You need some kind of spreaderlll
View attachment 3240623

I wouldn't use that instrument set. You want a ratcheting spreader for the ribs, a blunt hemostat, and a spoon instrument with a notch cut in the top...and cyano acrylate unless you want to suture. i just glue them and take both testes from the same side

Back
Top Bottom