Capon gasping and seizures

PurpleCArTires

Crowing
Sep 23, 2020
Taneytown
Hi Guys,

I just did a batch of capons on Saturday (3 days ago). I have them recovering in a tractor with attached enclosed coop. They were all doing great this morning - eating, drinking, and chirping away. I check on them this evening before locking up my other chickens for the night and notice one feathers puffed up and gasping. I grabbed him up and noticed no rattling. He is only slightly puffy around his surgery wound, but its only air under the skin. The scab looks great, no signs of infection.

So i brought him inside and put him in a dog crate under a towel. I massaged his crop, it feels soft and squishy but sorta like a slightly inflated balloon. I tried to give him water and he wanted no part of it. I gave him some VetRX on his chest incase its respiratory.

I left him alone for maybe 10 minutes and came back to find him having what I think is a seizure. He was flopping like crazy, i thought for sure he was dead and it was his body convulsions. But lo and behold he was still alive. He had another about 5 mins later and is still alive. He is just sitting there (on his feet) gasping.

What is happening with this poor guy?? Is there anything i can do for him??

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) - he is a rhode island red/asia black mix, 6 weeks old, doesnt feel lighter than the others
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Gasping and seizures
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Less than 3 hours
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Chick starter
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? VetRX
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Treat myself
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use - straw

I'm going to go with shock following the surgery. It can hang on for several days afterward, steadily getting worse due to not being treated.

See if it helps. Give him some warm sugar water with a pinch of salt and baling soda. Keep him in a warm place. Repeat the sugar/electrolyte mix each hour until he appears to revive.

I just had him wrapped in a towel on his side. I poked a hole in the skin where it was collecting air, he started breathing normal and even started chirping again. As soon as i sat his up, he started gasping again. :( ill try to get him to drink some electrolytes too.

Its so crazy he has been 100% fine the past few days. I wonder if something scared him today and out him in shock. I was moving a lot trees, maybe it freaked him out and set this off. Idk. :(

He is breathing normal and sleeping in my lap. I have some electrolytes ill try to give him now that hes calmed down. I really appreciate your help guys! It will be a miracle if he pulls through!

Back
Top Bottom