Caponizing a young roo

Studio2770

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Since we found out that we have a rooster in our flock, it's either find him a new home, or caponizing him to prevent crowing. I am still researching this and I see mixed answers from it doesn't do anything to it reduces male hormones and the need to crow. Will making him a capon early really eliminate crowing? He is about 4 weeks old so he's far from starting to crow. So if he gets caponized before he starts crowing, he should never crow since he never learned to start? Really want answers from those who actually have experience with capons!
Here he is. Pic is a bit old.

Have you researched how to actually caponize a cockerel? You cut into them - without anesthesia. The kindest thing you could do for that poor bird is to find him a new home.

Of course I have, I said I already did. It's either capon or new home. I'm hoping a vet would use anesthesia, I'm not going to do it myself.

I know, I saw the thread showing how to do it. But I have no experience in that nor do I have any dead birds to practice on. If anyone has experience with caponizing chickens around this age, doe they crow?

Back
Top Bottom