Capons in the Raleigh/Durham NC area?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Catstar68, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    Does anyone have any processed capons for sale for the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays? I have a friend that is looking for a few. Please PM me if you know any sources.

Thanks!

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    If you go to an upscale grocery store you can get some big roasting chickens. I did that a couple years ago to fix Thanksgiving dinner for my elderly parents. They didn't want a turkey. The chickens were in the ten pound range and they were delicious. Since the advent of the Cornish X meat chicken, there really hasn't been the need for capons.

3. Catstar68

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    I've been told that they taste different - more tender and juicy. [​IMG] I dunno, it's family tradition for my friend to have capon and he can't find any around here. Up in WI he said they were popular in the German cultural circles.

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Capons are more tender and juicey than a regular rooster, but I seriously doubt they would be better than a Cornish X roaster. We butcher our Cornish X at about ten to 12 weeks and they dress out in the 11 1/2 to 13 1/2 pound range. We like them much better than turkey. The Cornish X is your standard supermarket chicken. Cornish game hens, fryers, broilers, and roasters are all the same chicken. The difference is the age and size at processing. A capon might have a more intense flavor simply because it is older than a Cornish X roaster of the same size. But it sure wouldn't be any tenderer or juicier. If your friend has his heart set on a capon, he is just going to have to call around. I don't know if anyone caponizes chickens commercially any more. I can tell you this. If he settles for a large Cornish X roasting chicken, he won't be sorry.

5. Catstar68

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    Thanks Cassie.
    I know the commercially available cornishX chickens are just fine but whenever you start talking about cultural family traditions...well, it simply must be a capon. [​IMG] No substitutes. He did in fact find a small grocery in Carrboro that could supply the family.
    I just thought I'd enlist the help of the chicken experts to help him out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by