Capsaicin water for predator deterrent

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Snipes, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Snipes

Snipes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    I had my first loss on Friday, one of my three boys disappeared without a trace and I don't know if was a predator or if he hopefully flew away. I've gotten to thinking about things I can do to deter predators other than what I have in place already. I know that capsaicin affects mammals only as it evolved to discourage them in favor of birds, so I was thinking of getting a bunch of oil and dumping it into their playing ponds. Presumably they wouldn't feel a thing and they be weaving it into their bodies every time they splash and groom. If a mammal grabbed them and they had active capsaicin on their feathers, might they drop it? Has anyone given this a try?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I personally wouldn't suggest this. You might also want to check with local regulations before attempting this.

3. Snipes

May 15, 2010
    Why do you suggest looking at local regulations, may I ask? I can understand what you mean if I were to add it into any public pond or one shared between neighbors, but I am talking about a backyard pond or a kiddie pool.

4. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Poisoning certain animals can get you in trouble in places.

5. Snipes

May 15, 2010
    I'm not sure if it would count as poisoning. The idea isn't that predators would injest it, quite the opposite! It's the same idea as putting pepper in birdseed to prevent squirrels and I see that being sold so there must not be a law against specifically that. I will check with DFW to see if there is a law against it.

6. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    The birds might be fine eating it but I wonder if it might be bad for their eyes. Have you ever gotten jalapeƱo juice in your eye? Ouch! Also, my mom has tried those spicy bird cakes and the wild birds didn't touch it. So even if it's safe for the ducks doesn't mean they'll actually like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by