Car advice please!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Xtina, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Xtina

Xtina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    We had to face the unfortunate fact yesterday that our old Chevy pickup needs more repairs than it is worth anymore. So, we're going to scrap it and begin the search for something to take its place. I just got home to a barrage of emails from my husband on the matter, asking me to research vehicles for him, since I'm on maternity leave and have all the time in the world (haha). Here's what he said:

First email:
    Here's what I'm suggesting:

$6500 purchase cost thru auto loan ($100/month note). Purchase a Land Rover. It's not a Chevy, and models around 10 years old and 120,000 miles can be had for that price (check Cars.com). The only way this'll bite me is if the maintenance and upkeep is death. So I need you to research the likely maintenance and upkeep on a ten year old Land rover (probably Discovery gen II).

Second email:
    Unless you think a Fifteen year old 150k mile 4runner would be a better bet.

Third email:
    yah, looks like they leak every fluid imaginable, have crappy wiring, overheat and generally are lymey crap.

Fourth email:
    Land Rover Discoveries may be crap. I really am looking for a suv, 4x4 that's around 6500 and not gonna cause me constant headaches. Air bags would be nice.

Fifth email:
    Maybe Nissan Xterra, 2002 or later model

Now, for my input, I think I'd like to avoid anything that's not Japanese. I know I should support American, but we did that with the Chevy, and it worked out very poorly, whereas every Japanese car I've ever owned has been reliable. Does anyone have any advice for us? Thanks in advance!​

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    I've got a suzuki/chevy tracker. seats 5, ragtop, towing, and have the power button to change how the transmission/timing works for towing and hard acceleration. Even though my tracker came via Chevrolet, it has a suzuki hi-output 4 cylender and transmission. Go figure huh?

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have a 8 year old Corolla with 140K miles on it. Just put new tires on.

4. Xtina

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    I asked him:
    Would you be interested in something smaller like the Mazda Tribute or Ford Escape? How about the Honda Element?

And he replied:
    No, Those are built on car chasis, need something beefier if I'm gonna keep it as my going to the woods vehicle forever. So any model needs to have 4 wheel drive, truck chasis and low cost of ownership. The Land Rover fails on point three,, the element is a car chasis, the escape and tribute are uni-body.

The 4runner might be an option, but they seem more expensive on the used market,

Right now I'm leaning towards the 2002 and later Xterra.

That is, if the idea of a used 4wd suv is not a pipe dream. I need you to research where I might be insane to think I can afford to purchase and maintain a second vehicle. But, i think 100/month note is doable. Now we just need to know if maintenance costs will drown me.​

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Oh dear, always a tough dilemma!

Do you ever actually use 4WD? If not, it's not worth paying for it. Just one more expensive thing to repair.
    Lots of SUV type vehicles come without it.

Consumer Reports has a paid membership website- I think it's less than $20 to join. Might be worth it in this case. If not, most libraries have the latest editions of their car guides to peruse for free.
    And they go back quite a few years.

Don't forget the baby- you need something safe and easy to put a carseat in- that usually means a 4-door, not a sportier 2-door.

Good luck, it will be an interesting search! My 1979 GMC Surburban is still going strong, with over 300,000 miles on it. Too bad I don't still have it!

LOL, that'll teach me to wander off mid-post!

Haven't all or almost all Toyotas be recalled just this week? From what I gathered, they can't even sell them right now. Is that all over now?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  6. Xtina

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    We would use the 4wd, although we've always gotten by without it till now. But now that we live in Oregon, we've got lots of mountain sports opportunities. We hike and ski constantly, and the snow activities are made safer when you have that 4wd option. Basically, all our recreation is in the mountains.

7. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    What about a Subaru Outback? Nice cars, 4WD, roomy and safe?

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Rav4??

9. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Update as of today:

A new Toyota recall was announced today, affecting some 2.3 million vehicles, just months after a separate Toyota recall that affected nearly 4 million cars.

Toyota says today's recall, which involves a gas pedal issue, is "voluntary."

The following Toyota Division models are affected:

• 2009-2010 RAV4,
    • 2009-2010 Corolla,
    • 2009-2010 Matrix,
    • 2005-2010 Avalon,
    • 2007-2010 Camry,
    • 2010 Highlander,
    • 2007-2010 Tundra,
    • 2008-2010 Sequoia

Reuters reports that the newest Toyota recall relates to a "dangerous acceleration" issue with Toyota cars and trucks.

Though potential issues are rare, Toyota says they're more likely to occur after wear and tear on the gas pedal.

Just be careful which year you get and ask if the issue was addressed by a dealer.

10. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    We have an 05' Xterra 4x4 and we love it. It has almost 100,000 miles and we've only had to do routine maintenance. Don't expect great fuel mileage though, they are geared pretty low. Ours gets 16-16.5hwy and that is it. After talking to other Xterra owners I found out that is about what they are getting. Keep in mind that the engines are larger beginning in 05' as is the vehicle. Did I mention that this thing will climb a mountain like a billy goat? I guess I expected better mileage due to my V-10 Excursion getting 14mpg highway with 4.30 rears.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by