1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Car Alarm/car keys. (a forwarded email)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wildsky, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    PUT YOUR CAR KEYS BESIDE YOUR BED AT NIGHT

Tell your spouse, your children, your neighbors, your parents, your Dr Office, the check out Girl at the market, everyone you run across.

Put your car keys beside your bed at night. If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car. The alarm will be set off, and the horn will continue to sound until either you turn it off or the car battery dies.

This tip came from a neighborhood watch coordinator. Next time you come home for the night and you start to put your keys away, think of this:

It's a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Test it. It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain. It works if you park in your driveway or garage If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break in your house, odds are the burglar rapist won't stick around... after a few seconds all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough the criminal won't want that. And remember to carry your keys while walking to your car in
    a parking lot. The alarm can work the same way there.....

This is something that should really be shared with everyone. Maybe it could save a life or a sexual abuse crime.

My Mom has suggested to my Dad that he carry his car keys with him in case he falls outside and she doesn't hear him. He can activate the car alarm from anywhere in the yard and then she'll know there's a problem.

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    That is a really great idea. I KNOW it works from deep within my house because we have accidentally set it off....never realized it until my dog started scratching on the door howling to tell us!!! LOL

3. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    So if my mode of transportation might be my totally awesome 2 speed automatically shifting bike with awesome panniers or my 1978 VW convetable SuperBeetle - but no alarm on either of them... LOL???

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Hey I think I got that e-mail, but since my 92 pickup has no alarm, I dont think this will do any good, but who knows, I could poke thier eyes out with my keys, no wait, the keys are in the ignition, wishing someone would just steal that truck.

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    That is a great idea. I'll have to forward it to my MIL. Unfortunately, all three of our(Adam and I) vehicles do not have alarms.

So I'll just have to keep the stereo knob turned full blast on mute and keep the remote control near my bed. [​IMG] That and the big dogs in the house!

-Kim

6. keystonepaul

keystonepaul Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Pocono
    That is a very good idea. I will pass that on to my Mom. As for my own family I wish our 99 Dakota, 2002 echo, 2004 Malibu had an alarm. At least they're paid for- oh well. Keystonepaul

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] So many of us have old cars without alarms! [​IMG]

8. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i used to think my alarm was my beagle, great hearing and loud bark you know. Until the UPS guy was knocking on my door and I didnt hear it because my dog was at the foot of my bed napping with me [​IMG]

and no alarm on the car here either but is definately a good idea

9. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I've actually done that before! At my last house, we had some neighbors with teenagers and the parents would leave town for the weekend. I woke up one night to a bunch of drunk teens in my front yard! [​IMG] I didn't want to go out there and risk getting hurt (or hurting someone... I'm pi$$ed when someone wakes me up!) so I just pushed the panic button on my truck!
    I left it going long enough for other neighbors to start coming out of their houses. One of them must have called the cops because the party was broken up right afterwards. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by