Car ran over feet of red star 8 month chicken.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by my3girls, Oct 1, 2013.

1. my3girls

my3girls New Egg

Oct 1, 2013
    pennsly-tukky
    [​IMG]Ouch, she is eating drinking but can NOT stand what so ever. Ugh. Any tips? I've soaked in warm water and cleaned the wounds. Left foot swollen and moves the right leg isn't moving and is in the photo attached. I believe there is an issue higher up then foot ankle.

Any tips would be appreciated.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Yow, poor girl. I would be inclined to keep her in the dark as quiet as possible so she doesn't make things worse by banging her legs around right now. Are the injuries confined to the foot/ankle area or did she get hit further up the leg or body also? I don't know that bandaging/taping the feet are a good idea right now since you are probably going to get some pretty serious swelling. Otherwise I would probably tape and try to make her a shoe type thing like they do for bumblefoot with support further up the leg to stabilize any breaks. If that ankle is shot, she is probably going to lose motion in the joint even if it heals. Maybe try some aspirin as an anti-inflammatory? Chickens can heal from some pretty bad injuries.

1 person likes this.
  3. my3girls

my3girls New Egg

Oct 1, 2013
    pennsly-tukky
    Thanks for the responce, That is what I am worried about. If i chicken ankle won't allow it to walk, whats the prognosis of a long lived healthy life for the chicken.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with Kelsie, you should isolate her and try to restrict her movement. Give her some deep bedding, and a low perch (or no perch at all). If she acts like she's in pain, you can give her some aspirin, though I'm not sure how much. Put some antibiotic ointment on the wounds on the foot to help prevent infection. Personally, I wouldn't bandage the foot. Chickens have the ability to heal very well, even from terrible injuries, and many injuries heal better without bandaging.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    If the ankle fuses, she should still be able to walk, she just won't be able to bend it right, she'll hop or have an odd gait. I would see what she is doing with the foot in the next day or two and try to figure out if it is broken or just really badly bruised. If it is flopping around or curling under etc, I would consider tape or try to stabilize it somehow.

6. my3girls

my3girls New Egg

Oct 1, 2013
    pennsly-tukky
    Thanks for the info, Much appreciated. the right foot is still limp. the left though swollen she will attempt to push pressure on it. She began to preen herself last night after a nice warm bean dinner.
    I will post another photo this weekend of her legs to show the progression.

Thanks again everyone for the advice! I feel like i'm not alone!

7. my3girls

my3girls New Egg

Oct 1, 2013
    pennsly-tukky
    Just for anyone who is wondering, It's been a long couple weeks. But she is doing great! She is finally able to prop herself up on her left foot and her right no long flops around and is able to move. She loves her evening hours under the brush and bushes by my house looking for grubs and worms.

Everyday i would let her soak in brommel soap euctelyptus very warm water and rinsed and hair dryed her completely afterwards, i trimmed the feathers so her excrement would not stick to her while sitting all day, her favorite food was raisens. First couple days i used a diluted iodine treatment on the wounds then the next week i used witch hazel. Now she no longer needs it. She sleeps out in the coop at night and does really well at staying Put and waiting for me to take her to ground level when i get home!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by