Car vs Rooster!!! Can he be saved???

OrphanNanny

Songster
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Wausau, Wisconsin
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!
I just found a rooster that must have gotten hit on the side of the highway...tried contacting his people but nobody home so I've got him here with me wrapped up in a towel and next to the heater. He's soaking wet from the rain and appears to have blood coming from his beak...he's trying to move some but it's quite evident that one of his legs is broken....
What else can I do but keep him warm and dry??? I feel so bad for him
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

Heat lamp? Blow dryer? Wrap him in a towel..but if his legs are broken, I dunno if it would be worth trying to save him. He may need to be put down.

(I am qualifying this statement with the info that I have at least 5 "special needs" birds. I may be a freak, but I don't reccomend others do that.)

I agree LareePQG. Try and get him dry and warm. Offer him so water, with vitamins if you have some poultry vitamins. Then put him in a nice quiet place so he can rest. Do you have any baby aspirin? You may want to do a search on here about giving him some baby aspirin in his water to help with any pain he may have. Can you take photos of his leg break? Maybe a fellow BYCer could help you through how to splint him? Just a thought.

Good luck, you are a good neighbor and chicken person! Oh, and
welcome-byc.gif

Thank you and thank you! I've him wrapped in a towel warming up with the bathroom heater on...have splinted the leg as best I can, just to keep him from trying to move around on it...he has taken water from a milk cap that I mixed a little polyvisol(without iron) into. Upon further inspection, I think he must have gotten attacked by some neighbor dog or something, almost all of his tail feathers have been ripped out...but no broken skin...hmmm. I can see the tip if his beak is busted and some blood was coming out of his mouth....I don't know. If his owners do call I hope I can at least give them back a live bird, but I'm trying to keep him comfortable and there's no more blood coming from his mouth now and he did "talk" to me some...He's a beauty of a roo and am keeping my fingers crossed he makes it through this first night. I have to go milk now, but will keep you posted on his condition, thanks again for your response
smile.png

You sound like a natural chicken lover/care taker! If your neighbors don't want him...maybe you have a new rooster? Sounds like he is winning your heart.
love.gif

Can't wait for an update!

Heidi

Winning my heart, for sure! <3 Just checked on him after milking and he's still alive, which is a major plus. He stood strongly on one leg, another plus...he's taken a few more sips of water though he prefers the water withOUT the vitamins, go figure, any water at all is better than none
wink.png
His people still haven't called, so maybe it was meant to be...He will be my Lucky...my lucky highway rooster. Though I know there could still be some internal injuries that may take him from me, my fingers are crossed that he'll pull through. I will keep you posted
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom