1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Carbon storage...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Fierlin1182, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    There was recently an item about this on news radio, where they were pumping CO2 into old gas fields. First time I've heard about it, even though I googled and apparently it's been around since the 1970s.
    Do you reckon it will make any difference to global warming and whatever other problems are being caused? Seems they're always looking for solutions. Perhaps I should cut down on my computer use... [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  2. JD4570

JD4570 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you are concerned about CO2 levels there is a simple solution, plant more trees! Fast growing hardwood trees need a huge amount of CO2 for growth. Then we get breath the fresh oxygen they "exhale". You might call them solar powered scrubbers.[​IMG]

3. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:+1[​IMG]

4. Yetti

Yetti Chillin' With My Peeps

I saw a show on it a while back and the idea of using the ground as "filter" was more in tune to how they get the carbon in it. the majority of what I saw was on an older power plant that they plumbed into the ground with a huge chimney system. it used the porous earth to catch the carbon that would normally be discharged up and out.

5. Q9

Q9 General Headache

Sounds like an enormous waste of time and money if it actually involves sinking power plants. [​IMG] Shouldn't you guys be more concerned about water vapor? It contributes like 92% of the greenhouse effect, followed by methane. Co2 doesn't hold a candle to methane, let alone water vapor.

Myself, I'm more concerned about being strangled by the EPA than about nicer winters.

ETA - no, it will not make a difference in global warming, because mankind's contributions to the greenhouse effect are microscopic, at best. Earth does this kind of thing all the time, so it's pretty pointless spending money trying to "stop" it when said money would be better spent... well, anywhere else.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] This stuff cracks me up. We are so worried about automotive emissions that we have forgotten about those belching volcanoes on Earth's surface and flatulating thermal vents under the ocean.

Shhhhhh....don't tell the EPA-they will waste millions trying to design converters to control the 'waste'.

Mother Earth farts and belches all the time. And occasionally she likes to move her tectonic plates and there is nothing we can do to stop these natural events.

7. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Wasn't the Earth originally shrouded by a mist?
    Quote:

8. Q9

Q9 General Headache

Quote:I believe mankind's CO2 emissions as compared to Earth's is roughly 3% to 97%, so, yeah. Personally, I'm not too concerned, considering that warm periods have always marked high points in human civilization, especially the Roman warming and the Medieval Warm Period. Ice ages, on the other hand...

9. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    What, like volcano caps? lol.
    I hear that we're headed straight for another ice age. I suppose we've just got to roll with the punches. [​IMG]

Mother Earth farts and belches all the time. And occasionally she likes to move her tectonic plates and there is nothing we can do to stop these natural events.

Very well put, oldchick. [​IMG]

10. Yetti

Yetti Chillin' With My Peeps

I love the fact that most news media ignores mine fires. they are the single worst Co2 emitter man kind has wrought. there are fires that have burning for hundreds of years. in China there is a huge one that has been burning since the last ice age, and not a peep out of ol' Al Gore about putting them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by