1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Carbonated water on hot days?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AmyE690, May 14, 2007.

1. AmyE690

AmyE690 New Egg

May 14, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I've been reading all of your posts and I love how everyone is so helpful. We have five eight week-old chickens and we're insanely overprotective. We're in Arizona and it was over 100 degrees this weekend and we actually put a swamp cooler blowing into the coop for them. Nuts, eh?

Anyway, the boyfriend heard that when chickens pant they're depleting their bodies of carbon dioxide and that chicken farmers give the chickens carbonated water when it gets hot. This information came from a militant vegan Chemistry teacher. I told him I'd do some research but haven't found anything.

Is this familiar to anyone? Does anyone else out there have chickens in a climate similar to hell?

Thanks!

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I think the best thing for them would be good ol' fashioned water. Even if carbonated water were good for them, I wouldn't try it on such a hot day because they may refuse to drink something other than what they are used to.
    The swap cooler is a great idea. I also live in hell like conditions ([​IMG]) and what we did was build the run and coop under trees. You can also try misters or water down their dirt so they can dust bathe in dirt. Gross, I know, but I suppose that's quite a treat when you're a hot chicken!

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
  4. TinaMarie

TinaMarie New Egg

May 16, 2007
    Vail, Arizona
    I live in Arizona also, and see my chickens panting. I just go and spray the ground a little to dampen it. they seem to love it, and they stop panting.. but most of the time.. they just lay in the shade and sleep during the hotter parts of the day..

Tina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by