Cardboard box brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by seafood, Mar 3, 2008.

1. seafood

seafood Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Tonight I built a brooder from cardboard I got at Lowes. It total dimensions are 3'x5'. I am very happy with how it turned out.

My question is this. Should I put up a temporary wall to make the brooder smaller for the first week or so while the chicks are real small...and then take out the wall as they grow? I am getting 10 chicks. Or should I just leave the entire 3'x5' area open from day one?

Just thinking that the sq/footage might be too big for day olds and they wont hang together. Obviously I will have a heat lamp on one side.

Just looking for some feedback.

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    They wait I built mine was to cut the end of the boxes and tape them to make them bigger. I would also tape up the flaps to make a big wall. Is that what you mean?

3. seafood

seafood Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    What I am saying is 3x5 too big for 10 baby chicks? for the first week or so?? I could get a scrap piece of cardboard or wood and "temporarily" reduce the size to 3x3 or so until they get used to their surroundings, eating, drinking etc.

4. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    if you have a heat lamp on them it should be all right they will move closer or further from the heat as they need to . so i would leave it alone.

5. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    The size will be fine. They will stay close to the light. Remember they flock oriented so they pretty much hang together.

6. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    I would say smart thinking to start at that size. We kept moving them to larger boxes and now have 2 that are taped together and they really like having a bigger place to run around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by