1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cardboard box incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lucyharper123, Jan 27, 2013.

1. lucyharper123

lucyharper123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    hi i was wondering could you make a incubator out of a cardboard box? with a light and a cup of water i think i could ? do you ,
    i could make a still air incubator with two or three lightbulbs a old cooking tray and a egg box ? do you think il will work? thanks

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    You can , but I think the box will get too much moisture and may cause molds.

3. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I have a very good friend who did this a year or two ago, with a successful hatch! I can remember him on here talking about it, with everyone telling him he was batty, but he pulled it off! If you want me to I can ask him how he did it. I know he used a small box and a big box, and used insulating foam between the two.

4. JEH1984

JEH1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Asheville NC
    I made one with two boxes.. Had 9 out of 11 eggs hatch too.

5. wilsonab

wilsonab New Egg

Apr 15, 2013
    Hi, would you be able to ask your friend about the cardboard incubator please :) Im on a really low budget but really want chicks lol :)

6. JEH1984

JEH1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Asheville NC
    If you goto my site http://james.au.pn/ and click incubator it will list what I used to make my cardboard incubator. if you have any questions just send me a message and i will help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by