cardboard box?/??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jadude, Sep 3, 2008.

1. jadude

jadude Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    sc
    will a card board box catch on fire if i use it for bitties

2. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    I melted a rubber tub that had tiny chicks in it. I wouldn't use a cardboard box. That melted rubber tub scared me!

3. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    I used a cardboard box. Just make sure the heat lamp is not going to touch the box , or could fall into the box, and you should be fine.

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Quote:What were you plannin on doin????? [​IMG] Don't use candles, matches, propane, natural gas or kerosene near your brooder cardboard box.

Seriously, hang the lamp well away from it and you should be fine. We used a plastic 6' kiddie wading pool with an 18" cardboard wall around that. We hung the lamp off to one side about 2.5 feet higher than the cardboard. We didn't have any problems.

5. thepetpaw

thepetpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Tennessee
    I used a cardboard box - again make sure the heat lamp isnt topuching it.

6. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    I used cardboard boxes for my brooders. Just be careful with the heatlamp. Good luck.

7. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    I used a cardboard box several times. I put a mesh top over it that I used to use for a lizard we used to have in a fish tank. Then I put a heat lamp over the top of the the mesh lid or attached it to a dresser drawer, bookcase....whatever was near the box and at the right height for the temperature I was looking for.

Just be sure not to keep the light to close against the cardboard and check it often after you set it up to see if the cardboard is getting warm. I used a 45 watt regular bulb and wsa able to get the right temperatures with that, without creating a fire hazard. Make sure you set it up when you will be home for a long stretch to watch it and keep checking it until you are sure it's safe.

8. LindaN

LindaN Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    Chicago
    Ever hear of the science fiction book Farenheit 451? It was named that based on the temperature at which paper combusts.

Cardboard and paper can be heated up to a temperature that will much too uncomfortable for chickes before anything bad can happen.

As everyone else has said, though, it's a good idea to not have the heat lamp touching the cardboard.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:My husband wanted some chickens. He brought home several chicks. I wasn't prepared as he brought them home in a box with a 5lb bag if chick starter. Now I had these 2 day old chicks and had to makeshift a temporary brooder. I put wire on top of mine too with the brooder lamp on top of the wire. My lamp has a clamp on it. Well, I succeded and now have lovely hens. my girls are precious. I think a cardbooard box is fine but I do agree with the other posts, don't put the brooder light to close.

10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    this may sound crazy. I have a small room, Control room temp. Start at 95 and reduce it 5 each week.

Used cardboard boxes to keep turkey,chicken, and peafowl,each with their own box. wire place in the bottem 2in. off the bottem, also top has wire. replace boxes every 3 days old ones go to the fire pit.

Heat lamps have burned many barns. They are great ,but do take care around flamable, cardboard being one. Try old fish tanks, they are safer,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by