Cardigan Welsh Corgi vs. Pembroke Welsh Corgi

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Bantamlover23, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Bantamlover23

Bantamlover23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Chuluota, FL
    Ok, my mom asked me this the other day. What are the differences between a cardigan and pembroke corgi? I know one has a tail and the other doesn't. (I have a Pembroke) I also know that their personality is slightly different. If you could give me other differences I would appreciate that.

2. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    Pembroke Welsh Corgi and Cardigan Welsh Corgi are actually two different breeds, originally bred in two areas of Wales, and descended from different foundation breeds. The Cardigan Welsh Corgi is the older of the two breeds.

They look similar, and are quite similar in personality and disposition. Both are herding dogs. They are both intelligent, stubborn, strong willed little fur buckets. Cardigans are said to be a bit more standoffish.

Cardigans are slightly larger and have an undocked tail. They come in a wider range of coat color patterns, including blue merle, which is beautiful. Pembroke's tails are often docked at a young age. They come in red and white, tri-color and sable.

The Pembroke Corgi is the more common, well known variety.

3. JenEric Farms

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    Also, the Cardigan is slightly larger than the Pembroke (not by a lot, maybe 10 lbs).

4. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    The Pembrokes are just nicer dogs. Cardi's seem to be more dog aggressive and more aggressive toward strangers - they're better guard dogs. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but they truly are different breeds in many ways. The Pem is far more popular and there is a reason why.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  5. Bantamlover23

Aug 6, 2008
    Chuluota, FL
    Quote:You got that right. I love my corgi but she drives me nuts at times.

6. JenEric Farms

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:I haven't experienced this, but I have heard this as well. I have heard and read that Pems are not as stubborn and are more of a family dog than the cardis. Could just be they require more training in the beginning.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    A reason? I bet it was the popularity of Queen Elizabeth's favorite breed of dog. I love the Pembroke and my mother's next door neighbor had a sable Pembroke but it had a sable and black markings like a German Shepherd...is there a special name for that color???? It was a beautiful dog!

8. JenEric Farms

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:You got that right. I love my corgi but she drives me nuts at times.

Good Grief don't I know. Our corgi tries to herd us, CONSTANTLY, while we are in the yard. She's also obsessed with the water hose. She attacks the water to no end.

9. Bantamlover23

Aug 6, 2008
    Chuluota, FL
    Quote:I haven't experienced this, but I have heard this as well. I have heard and read that Pems are not as stubborn and are more of a family dog than the cardis. Could just be they require more training in the beginning.

I have not been around a lot Cardi's but I have run across acouple nasty acting Pembrokes not too many times but I still remember them.

10. JenEric Farms

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:Tri-Color

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by