Care for a blind chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by asopos, Sep 7, 2016.

1. asopos

asopos Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    My chicken lost one of her eyes recently (yesterday) and the other is in a pretty bad situation so she is blind in both eyes . An eye doctor gave us an eye drop to prevent infection and she isn't doing much she just turned around a little and maybe walked forward 8-10 steps I could get her to eat just a little and then she spiller her food. Even though I put her food right in front of her she couldn't find it and she isn't drinking either. We are thinking to tube feed her if the vet says she could do it . I can't put her down so please help. Any advices for how to care for a blind chicken

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She will probably do well in a pen or crate near her food and water. Try putting woter in a small amount of her feed daily in a bowl, so that she can get enough in an easier manner. Wash the contents out daily, so there is no mold. Then use some normal dry food and water separate when she gets use to her surrounding. She may see well enough to get around in her usual coop. I had a polish hen who lived for several years with only one good eye, and she was fearfull and got lost occasionally. Roosters could be mean to her and injure her since she was fearful. You could also look for someone who might like a pet hen who has a handicap that might want her. Good luck.

3. asopos

asopos Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    Thank you so much !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by