care for long-time broodies

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by flakey chick, May 24, 2010.

1. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    I am looking for advice on care tips for my broody who is in for an extra long hatch ( maybe 28 days total?). It was about a week before I could get fertile eggs under her. I know people use broody chickens to hatch ducks and other poultry that take longer to hatch. I also know people will move a broody and wait a few days to give her real eggs until they are sure. What I haven't been able to find out is tips for taking care of a broody in for an Xtra long hatch. I know it is hard on her body.

I want the best nutrition for her so no carb. type treats- just a few meal worms and sometimes add water to her crumbles to make a mash (which seems easier for her to wolf down when she is off the nest). Am I doing the right thing? Any care tips from the experts ? Should I setup an incubator just in case she gives up early?

2. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

I gave mine some sardines, oatmeal, and yogurt ~ seperately(the sardines) Raw oatmeal & yogurt is a great treat!Keep her fresh water close to her nest,so she can reach easily by stretching her neck.

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Even if mine were given eggs late, they would keep going until the chicks hatch. Somehow they know when an egg has gone bad and when they're good, if they know the eggs are good, she shouldn't give up. It really depends on the hen, though.

I like to give them scrambled eggs as a treat, but mostly I just make sure they have plenty of food and water. Since she's not laying eggs while she's broody, she doesn't have a high need for calcium, so she can have chick starter, too.

4. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Thanks for the help. Make me feel better knowing she'll be OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by