Care Information on Small Parrot Birds , help?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by J's Orpingtons, Dec 6, 2011.

1. J's Orpingtons

J's Orpingtons Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    Somewhere in NI...
    For Christmas I would like to get some birds. I want a bird that you could teach to talk. But I don't want a Big Parrot like a Macaw or Amazons etc. I'd Like one like a Cockatoo, or there smallish Parrots. Also I'd Like some advice on the care of birds. Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    J's Orpingtons :

For Christmas I would like to get some birds. I want a bird that you could teach to talk. But I don't want a Big Parrot like a Macaw or Amazons etc. I'd Like one like a Cockatoo, or there smallish Parrots. Also I'd Like some advice on the care of birds. Thanks in advance [​IMG]

You should get a quaker if their not illegal where you are they are great talkers or you could get a conure they are great talkers to.​

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I wouldn't have talking as an expectation. Not all individuals can learn it.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I had a wonderful Senegal parrot. He was small, and talked very well. He did cost a pretty penny though.....

5. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Very happy your looking into parrots, they are definatly rewarding pets. However, please do your
    research about them first. Christmas is only a few weeks away, and that's honestly very little time to
    learn all you need to know in order to be a good parrot owner. First, answer some important questions -

Do you have the time for a parrot? Parrots are very social & active creatures, therefore need
    hours and hours of both one on one time with you, or another feathered companion, and hours of foraging
    play time outside of the cage daily. Theres also the time it will take you to care for them in the morning,
    and evenings. Takes me approximately 15 minutes every morning to care for my two parrots, and thats not
    counting the attention and out of the cage time. Parrots are not the best pets for people who are gone all day
    everyday.

Do you have the space for a parrot? Do you have an erea to put a cage? If you have other house
    pets, you'll need a safe erea/room for the parrot. And erea where the bird will not be terrorized by dogs, cats ..
    ferrets

Do you have the money for a parrot? Parrots are NOT inexpensive. They cost alot of money to care
    for. Cage, food, accessories, vet bills, toys & the parrot itself is all expensive.

Can you handle a parrot? Parrots are all noisy. Some exceptionally less than others, but none
    are 'quiet'. Can you handle noise? All parrots are messy. You will most likely find food, poop & feathers
    scattered a couple feet outside the cage. Poop on the walls, floor and furniture happens as well.

Once you've answered YES to all these questions, the learning begins.

Do you have parrot experience?
    I personally think you should get a budgie or cockatiel first. Cockatiels are awesome whistlers, and some can
    learn to say words with alot of work. When I had my cockatiel, he knew pop goes the weasel, and would sing it to
    us every morning. My budgies never learned to talk, though it is possible for them to. No inexperienced parrot
    owner should start off with a cockatoo, etc.

Cockatiel Beatboxing
    Cockatiel Talking

Parakeet Talking
    If you don't want either a cockatiel or parakeet, atleast start with something small. I have a green cheek
    who would actually make a great first time bird. She can say "Roll tide!" "mommy" and "Hello" pretty well,
    though she's better at making kissy noises [​IMG] Heres Jacki (GCC) & Teeki (hahns macaw)=
    [​IMG]

Get books, contact an avian veterinarian and read read read.

I totally agree with Kevin565, personality is the most important aspect of a parrot, not the talking ability.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  6. J's Orpingtons

J's Orpingtons Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    Somewhere in NI...
    Thanks, I know that about some parrots don't talk etc. but thanks for telling me. I'll do my research and see if i should get one.

7. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    J's Orpingtons :

Thanks, I know that about some parrots don't talk etc. but thanks for telling me. I'll do my research and see if i should get one.

[​IMG]

8. chickensbythesea

chickensbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    I had a budgie growing up that we taught to talk. He was a solo male, when we got him a companion he stopped talking and went back to just singing.

He could only say "pretty birdy!" and "stop that!" but I still think that's impressive, considering how I can't speak a single word of his language. With more time, I bet he could have learned more, but like I said, his wife shut him right up :p

9. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

My conures talk to me. They are in the parrot family but much smaller. I have 2 sun conures. They can say "I love you" "night, night" and a few others. One also was raised in a house with 6 dogs so he barks and growls and sometime the ocasional purrrrr lol. Great birds but can get noisy. And they like attention.

10. mama dixie

mama dixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    I have a girl cocktail she s great. we got her from one of my sons teachers who could not give her the time she needed. her cage is by my chair where I set and have coffee each morning and she comes out and if I am using my tan and yellow coffee cup she will snuggle up to it and try to groom it. one time I was not paying attention and she snuck a drink of coffee no joke, well did I get the riot act, the coffee was not to hot thank goodness. another thing is I think they are kinda one person pets. we got the bird thinking it would be for our son and she is not at all comfortable with men. when my hubby comes home she screams till I go hug him and say it is ok it is daddy. the oddest thing though is she loves my brother who is a big truck driver and a in a band. he kinda looks like that mupet you know the one who plays the horn and wears the hat... seriously she just fell in love with him,if he calls I put him on speaker and she just coos and makes that mating noise and he gets so mad and says stop trying to fix me up with that dxxx bird. lol lol lol.... I would like a bigger bird but I held a sun condor in the pet store and it bit me hard. I am a wennie so I am sticking with little birds, the sun condor was little and so can you imagine if I got bit by a big bird..... I am sticking with my chickens and my little mina...

read alot and go and see alot of birds I love the big birds but they can be intimidating. I have like 30 chickens and some roo's and so you would think I would not be worried about a bite but it really hurts and can make you need stitches the one and the pet shop did break the skin. I hung it by its feet and then it just looked at me like I am gona remember you... I found another pet store...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by