Care of a Broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wildsky, May 1, 2008.

1. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Well I finally have a broody hen [​IMG]

She's been sitting for almost a week now - but I just got eggs for her in the mail today - she's currently sitting on a golf ball and eggs laid in her box by the other hens... [​IMG]

Anyway, I need to know if there is anything special I should be doing for her. I do give her a handfull of sunflower seeds and feed in the mornings, in the evenings I give her another handfull of food and I hold a little tupperware with water for her - while she GROWLS at me and drinks [​IMG]

She got off the nest that I saw yesterday when I was handing out spahgetti noodles, she grabbed some, grumped at everyone else - and then went back to her nest.

Will she get off and get water when she needs to? I'm concerned that she get what she needs.......

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    She will get off every day or 2 to do her business. I seperate my broodies so others won't try to lay in her nest. When another hen trys to squeeze down beside a broody, eggs can get broke.

Just in case I do mark all eggs on the ends. The sides get rubbed clean by the hen as she turns them.

Matt

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Thanks Matt - I'll need to mark the eggs a bit better!

I don't want to separate her - I just want them all to know those babies from day one and for her to protect them so I don't have to try do introductions.....

I took out and threw out 10 eggs yesterday that she was sitting on - and she still had some under her that I left, I need to sneak in and put these others under her - she'll be thrilled... and still probably GROWL at me. [​IMG]

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I just gave her her new eggs [​IMG] I bribed her with a strawberry and rooted out all the other eggs, and presented her with 6 new bantam eggs, and 4 standards.

WIth any luck - she'll be the mommy of some Japanese bantams, some Old English game bantams - and some Speckled Sussex! Boy is she gonna be confused (she's a BO), and the roo is going to be MADDER than a wet hen - [​IMG]

5. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    My BO is currently sitting on 9 eggs. She had 10, but one was broken yesterday. I had to take it out. It is so funny when they growl at you. Buffy is a very good mama, but the barn cats can make a quick meal out of baby chicks. I did not lose any last year. but I had a couple of close calls. (not with Buffy but another broody) Mine are due to hatch on the 16 of May. Happy hatching to you. And keep us posted.

Denise

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    This is my first time with a broody - so I hope SHE knows what to do [​IMG]

I really WORRY too much - and I just need to sit back and let her do it.. if they hatch then good, if not oh well at least I tried.

They should hatch on the 21st or 22nd.... now the long wait!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by